802.11r OTA or infrastructure?

DarrenOC-Old
New here

802.11r OTA or infrastructure?

I'm new to this forum so please be kind 😀 . I'm looking for information on how Meraki implements 802.11r. Does it support it over the air side or over the infrastructure side. If it can do both how do I make it over the air?

3 Replies 3
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DarrenOC-Old : Check this out 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/802.11k_and_802.11r_Overview#How_...

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

802.11r got a bad rap for a while because of security issues and fell out of favour.  I can't say I have personally used it for a while.  I think the roaming capabilities of client devices has improved a lot and it is not needed so much these days.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAththat is only the case if you use 802.11r with WPA2 Personal since the keying material is made from the same pre-shared key.
If you are using WPA2 Enterprise you'd better use 802.11r or you'll have roaming issues as a full authentication using 802.1X takes a long time.

@DarrenOC-Oldgreat question.  I'm hoping a Meraki employee will answer this.  If not we'll have to do a capture to determine the behavior.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels