5ghz channel auto selects 20mhz

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

5ghz channel auto selects 20mhz

What are some reasons a few APs would select 20mhz channel widths? One example:

a MR74’s sector antenna that is being used to pull a signal off a MR84 w 2 sets of omnis about 150ft away. Clear line of sight, highly rural so not even cell phone RF in the air. Single occupancy property. The MR84 is 5ghz 80mhz and the 74 is at 5ghz 20mhz. 

Followup - why is it that one device, in this case, the MR84, can be broadcasting 80mhz and the 74 only 20? My tech brain says those two should be the same but clearly I’m wrong. The link between them is a consistent 100mbps.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Has it been in long?  Typically they start at narrow channels and make them wider.  After 24 hours everything should have reached its final state.

Also, I think the algorithym makes the channels wider on APs with higher loads.  Any chance these have been sitting with quite low throughputs?

If this is the case you might have to use an RF profile to force the channels to be wider.

Very very low traffic. One user. Satellite 30mbit Internet, mostly texting. Been a few days. That would make sense about higher throughputs. I don’t need the wider channel clearly more just curious. Very interesting. 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.

Lower channel widths make for stronger connections? @PhilipDAth 

>Lower channel widths make for stronger connections? 

No.  It means there are more non-overlapping channels so more APs can used at the same time allowing more clients to be supported concurrently.

What’s the relationship tho between this and low bandwidth usage? Would an 80mhz channel provide any link speed increase over a 20mhz?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels