26.6 Firmware, only applies to MR45/55 - all other models get 26.3?

pjc
A model citizen

26.6 Firmware, only applies to MR45/55 - all other models get 26.3?

I noticed on a banner today that a couple of my (test) networks were scheduled to be upgraded to 26.6 (even though I have the option 'try Beta firmware' off) but the upgrade to 26.6 would only be applied to MR45/55 models, all others would get 'upgraded' to 26.3

These 2 test networks I have are currently on beta 26.5, does that mean it will be downgraded to 26.3 if I upgrade to 26.6 or left at 26.5 ?

Cheers

12 REPLIES 12
pjc
A model citizen

Have just tested, looks like it reverts back to the original version that was on that network before upgrading to 26.6.  I'm still uncomfortable with particaular versions being applied to specifi models only and that if you think you are running a specific version of firmware (i.e. 26.6) but you are actually running a lower version, and there's no way of telling unless you know in advance...

firmware.jpg

redsector
Head in the Cloud

I checked it on several networks: where ever I did an update to 26.6 all accesspoints got 26.6 (MR32, MR33, MR42, MR42E, MR52).

pjc
A model citizen

Yes, it will report in dashboard under firmware as running 26.6 but from what I can tell from the banner message I saw earlier those ap's are actually running 26.3...only the mr45/55 models are running 26.6

We have had a previous experience of what we thought we were running a particular version of firmware (as reported in dashboard) but were in fact actually running an earlier version (MR32's)

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

So the status page of your MR32's says that they're running 26.3?

It's possible. The MR32 is EOL, so it could be that there's a maximum software version it can run.

"Additionally, some devices which have reached end-of-sale may have maximum support firmware versions. The node will not be able to run firmware versions newer or higher than the indicated maximum version."

Source:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Firmware_Upgrades/Product_Firmware_Version_...

It would be nice if the table on that page would also include the max software version supported instead of only the minimum, perhaps something for @CameronMoody to look at?

No, the firmware version is reported as 26.6 after the upgrade of the MR32 (and MR16 network I tested), but the banner message (I wish I captured a screenshot) prior to the scheduled upgrade said something along the lines of ' a new version 26.6 is scheduled to be installed....only MR45/55 will actually be running 26.6, all other ap's will be running 26.3' (but will report in dashboard as running 26.6)

Perhaps a Meraki employee can give us the definitive answer on this?

@BrechtSchamp  wrote:

" It's possible. The MR32 is EOL, so it could be that there's a maximum software version it can run. "

End of support (EOST) for the MR32 is Jul 2024.  I would expect firmware releases, patches, new features etc to be made available for this and any other model up to the EOST date.  This article below suggests that this is the case

https://meraki.cisco.com/support/#policies:eol

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Valid point.

Hi All,

I just want to provide some updates on this one. There are no issues upgrading APs other than MR45/55s to 26.6 version. I tried upgrading my personal MR52 to 26.6 and it actually upgraded to and running 26.6. 

If you want some clarity as to which version a particular AP is running, you can run this API call, this will give you the actual version of the device and not the network configured version.

https://dashboard.meraki.com/api_docs#list-the-devices-in-a-network

Cheers!

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Raj66,

I'm seeing results that aren't consistent with your statement. In particular, I have an AP where the network is configured for one version, but the AP is set to a different version, and when I hit the network/{netId}/devices API for that network the firmware returned for that device is "Not running configured version". It's good at least that it does show me that the AP is not consistent with the network for firmware level, but it also doesn't tell me what version it's at. However, the AP details page does show me the version of the AP. 

image.png

Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi Jason,

Thanks for checking on this. I did some inquiry on this and it appears the API is still in development. As of now, it will not give you the actual version the device is running but will give you the result that you are seeing. It will only give you the firmware version when the network firmware version matches the device firmware version otherwise you will get the text saying it is not running the configured version

For now, please open a case with support to get the actual firmware version a device is currently running.

Cheers!

Raj

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
redsector
Head in the Cloud

This is what I see:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-31 um 07.53.39.png

pjc
A model citizen

@Raj66  Thanks for checking this out further.

So, is it possible that for some models (i.e. MR32) after a firmware upgrade (i.e,. 26.6) that the dashboard is reporting the latest fimrware is installed (26.6), but in fact the firmware actually running on the AP is a lower version (26.x) ?

Or did I imagine that banner popping up on the dashboard (it's been a hard week lol) ?

cheers

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels