1 out 7 APs, incorrect password on SSID

SOLVED
Jeff_Longley
Getting noticed

1 out 7 APs, incorrect password on SSID

We've got 7 MR16's deployed, with two SSID's broadcasting (company and guest)

However, on a single Access point, as we get within it's range, it says the password is incorrect for the guest network. Wander 6 feet away so you're in range of the AP's and it connects just fine.

All AP's are on the same firmware (current MR 25.13).

Local gui reports no issues.

Wireless health reports high number of authentication failures.

Have reset the access point.

How can a single AP have the "wrong" password?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As @BrechtSchamp mentioned try the restore first and see what happens. I've even had situations where Air Marshall will block SSID because the AP came up a few minutes after the others. Odd.

Enthusiast

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Used a template for all of the MR´s?

Or typed in all passwords manually? Fore sure you checked everything, just want to sort this out 😉

Didn't use template, but the SSID is set per network, so is pushed to every AP

Is the "wrong" AP online in dashboard?

When you go to the AP details page of that AP, does the page say "Config Up to date"?

If one of the anwsers is "no" then you should figure out why.

If not, then that behavior is unexpected. I'd factory reset the AP and see if that solves it. Maybe something went wrong at some point.

As @BrechtSchamp mentioned try the restore first and see what happens. I've even had situations where Air Marshall will block SSID because the AP came up a few minutes after the others. Odd.

Enthusiast

Wrong AP online, in dashboard and showing up to date.

Just about to factory reset to see if that makes any difference.

The other Odd part, is that if I look at the list of connected clients, I can see at least one device connected to the guest network....

Also check the switch port that AP is connected to, confirm it is configured the same as the others.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

yup - Switchport already checked and confirmed identical.

randhall
Getting noticed

However, on a single Access point, as we get within it's range, it says the password is incorrect for the guest network.

Just to be clear, you are connecting to your guest network with some sort of authentication and your client (an iOS device, let's say) displays on its screen that the password is bad?

exactly that;

Iphone connects to guest network. WPA2 password, connects to network.

Wander around the building, it will happily roam from AP to AP, until you reach problem AP.

At this point, you disconnect from the network and the password screen appears.

Entering the correct password won't connect you back to the network. But wander out of range of the AP and back to different AP and you auto reconnect to the Guest network

Just for testing purposes, create a new SSID, new password, and only broadcast it on that AP having the issue.

Go stand next to it and see if you can connect.
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

So it is the WPA2 preshared key that is wrong and not a splash password or something? Sorry to be so precise but it helps diagnose how far your packets are going.

For grins, has the troubled AP changed channels recently?

So:

New SSID added and broadcast, no problems at all.

Factory reset and config re-downloaded - same issues.

Yes, Pre-shared key password, no splashpage. 

Just noticed something odd whilst testing. Wifi will disconnect when you're in range of the AP. Hitting the guest network to reconnect will prompt a "password is incorrect this network" error. However, cancelling that error will sometimes allow the device to connect.

At this point, I think it's time to get a case opened with Meraki....

Yeah. I would open up a case because that issue seems odd. They will definitely send you another unit. Had an MR once that no matter what you did to it it will never update config but SSID's were broadcasting but never connected. #cloudstruggles 

Enthusiast
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Are you testing with 1 device connecting to the AP like a phone or something? Possibly test with a different device to see if the problem issue is on the device and not the AP.

No, not just a test device is happening to every device

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels