NAT vs Bridge?

SOLVED
AlvinA
New here

NAT vs Bridge?

What's the difference between NAT and Bridge mode? Why would I pick one over the other?

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Otis_Io
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @AlvinA

If you want to have a guest network then I suggest that you set up 2 SSIDs(Wifi Networks). One for the guest users in NAT mode and one for your private users in Bridge mode. 

Having a guest only SSID allows you to keep guest(unsecured devices) separated with each other and also from the internal users as enabling a guest SSID allows users that connect to it, to only be able to access the Internet. 

Any printers or devices that you trust should connect in the private SSID in bridge mode and by doing that, those devices will be able to communicate with each other and with the rest of you LAN(Local Area Network). 

Let me know if that is clear or if you need more clarification! 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Otis_Io
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @AlvinA!

Welcome to the Meraki Go Family!

NAT mode means that the Meraki Go device is going to provide the IP address to your end devices. You should use this mode if you want to have a more secure guest network as wireless clients will not be able to communicate with other wireless clients. 

Bridge mode means that your Wireless devices will get an IP address from your modem/router and be part of your network. You should use this if you have any wireless devices that you need to communicate with (such as wireless printers, streaming devices and other wireless devices) 

You can also have a look on your feature documentation below: 

https://documentation.meraki.com/Go/Meraki_Go_-_WiFi_Access_Point_Feature_Details#Network_Settings

I hope this answers your question!

Thanks, @Otis_Io! I do want to have a guest network. Sounds like the recommendation is to use NAT mode for greater security between my guest network and my private network? But I also have a wireless printer. So I should use bridge mode? I guess I'm a bit confused, sorry. I'm a networking newbie!

Otis_Io
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @AlvinA

If you want to have a guest network then I suggest that you set up 2 SSIDs(Wifi Networks). One for the guest users in NAT mode and one for your private users in Bridge mode. 

Having a guest only SSID allows you to keep guest(unsecured devices) separated with each other and also from the internal users as enabling a guest SSID allows users that connect to it, to only be able to access the Internet. 

Any printers or devices that you trust should connect in the private SSID in bridge mode and by doing that, those devices will be able to communicate with each other and with the rest of you LAN(Local Area Network). 

Let me know if that is clear or if you need more clarification! 🙂

Ah ha, I get it now. Thank you.