MS350 Stacking Issues

SOLVED
bholmes12
Getting noticed

MS350 Stacking Issues

I have 3 MS350 stacks, 6 switches in each stack, running on 8.10 software. 

All stacks have been up and running without issue for the past month or so. No changes have been made on the Meraki switches or the Cisco Nexus 9k's that are upstream. 

This morning within an hour all 3 stacks had switches that removed themselves from the stack and stopped forwarding traffic. 

Stack 1 - 1 switch disappeared from the stack and stopped forwarding traffic - Did not come online until after a reboot. Uplink port was not on this switch. 

Stack 2 - 1 switch disappeared from the stack and stopped forwarding traffic - Did not come online until after a reboot. Uplink port was not on this switch. 

Stack 3 - 5 of the switches disappeared from the stack - 1 of the uplinks was on one of the switches that disappeared from the stack. After rebooting the switch with the uplink the 5 switches rejoined the stack. 1 switch in this stack stayed online, that switch has an uplink to the core. 

It seems really strange that 3 stacks had the same issue within an hour, Meraki support suggested we hit a bug (8.10) and have requested I upgrade to 9.19. 

Has anyone else been having stacking issues? 

I typically put in Cisco 4500's or 3850's and these are my first 3 MS350 stack closets. This obviously isn't giving me a very warm and fuzzy feeling to have a failure like this after a month or so. 

Curious what other users experiences  have been when using MS350 stacks ???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mr_IT_Guy- Upgraded my MS350 stacks to 10.14 a few weeks back and so far they have been solid. The original issue was nmap scan's would cause some switches in a MS350 stack to become unreachable, they would also no longer forward traffic. The only way to bring the switch back online was to reboot it.

Here is the reported fix from the Meraki engineering team.

"The fix was to implement a rate-limiter in hardware to avoid the CPU from being hampered by the scans."

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels