cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS-350 stack member drops pings

Kind of a big deal

Re: MS-350 stack member drops pings

The next model up, the MS425's let you use configure the 40Gbe ports for either stacking or "standard" ports ...  In fact, the 425's let you do that for any of their ports.  So you can use some of the 10Gbe ports for stacking instead, or have no stacking ports at all.

Kind of a big deal

"I would think that if a lacp issue with the software was causing this it would be a problem with the unstacked switch also"

From the release notes I posted for that 3750 software version; and you are channeling across the 3750's.  That version incorrectly uses different ID's across the stack members.

• In an EtherChannel running Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP), the ports might be put in the suspended or error-disabled state after a stack partitions or a member switch reloads. This occurs when:

– The EtherChannel is a cross-stack EtherChannel with a switch stack at one or both ends.

– The switch stack partitions because a member reloads. The EtherChannel is divided between the two partitioned stacks, each with a stack master.

The EtherChannel ports are put in the suspended state because each partitioned stack sends LACP packets with different LACP Link Aggregation IDs (the system IDs are different). The ports that receive the packets detect the incompatibility and shut down some of the ports. Use one of these workarounds for ports in this error-disabled state:

Kind of a big deal

There are many LACP bugs listed - but you have to say that pretty much describes the issue you are having.

Here to help

It does! I guess what used to work for a decade is irrelevant - it will annoy me to no end that this only happens with meraki - the 3850 stack software doesn't indicate there should be any lacp issues but yet it has major problems, only when connected to meraki - could be a different issue with the same symptoms I suppose.  Keep in mind it works fine to a 3750 port channel spanned across member switches to a single meraki switch -  it's not until I stack the meraki this happens.  At least now I have a stack I can test with - unfortunately one of our 350's is a brick now so I can't test meraki to meraki aggregates - still have the root > designated designated >root events going on all the time, only when meraki aggregates are in use...good times

Here to help

I configured the meraki switch stacks to never be root for the network and published vlan 1 across all trunked uplinks - the meraki stacks all acknowledge the cisco switches as root for the network now and there has not been a designated >  root  root > designated event since I made the changes at 5am this morning - the event logs from the previous few days indicate a STP event several times per day so that looks promising. I'll reconnect the port channel from my other bldg in the near future to verify that problem has gone away also. 

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.