Layer 3 missing base features

Drk
New here

Layer 3 missing base features

Hi team we are working with Meraki since long time with MX and MR and they works great. But layer 3 switches are a pain. But why I cannot add a stupid alias IP to a Vlan interface? 

Please dont bug me with best practise because anyone of us surely use it somewhere maybe temporaly. 

And why I need to loose an ip for management only without using it for any kind of routing? 

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>And why I need to loose an ip for management only without using it for any kind of routing? 

The management IP is used to retrieve the config and talk to the Meraki cloud.  If you didn't have a management IP address you would not be able to bring a "factory default" switch online.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

i think he want to asign the vlan ip to the management interface . 

i guess they removed support for that when introducing vrrp for switch?

Meraki support tell me that a different IP must be assigned to the management, and it must be different from any VLAN address given, but the VLAN can be the same.

About "alias IP", or " ip address secondary" to compare to Catalyst conf, they said that now is not possible. I personally think it is a big limit, because I can agree about best practice, but often when u need to work on an old network, it can be very helpful during migration to tagged VLAN.

m_Andrew
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

One reason for disallowing the re-use of the same IP + VLAN for the management interface that is also used on an SVI is in the context of switch stacking or warm spare (VRRP) configurations. 

In those cases, the SVIs don't use the MAC address of the base switch. They use a virtual MAC for HA operation so that both VRRP members or all stack members are using the same MAC for client routing.

However, the management interface always uses the MAC of the base switch -- as it always uniquely identifies the specific switch and is used for upstream connectivity to the Dashboard backend. Since it uses the base switch MAC, if you had an SVI with the same IP as the management interface, there would be an IP conflict in the network as both the management interface and an SVI would claim the same IP, but have a different MAC address for L2 addressing /ARP.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels