Layer 3 gateway setup

Johnlee3
Comes here often

Layer 3 gateway setup

Hello all,

I have been experiencing an issue that I am sure is an easy fix and I hope some one can shed some light on what is going on. I have a Layer 3 meraki switch that I want to setup as a gateway for a certain subnet. I am very familiar with the traditional cisco approach to this. First, how might I set an ip address for an interface, which is the uplink from the gateway to the core gateway. (Ex. Core gateway: Int g1/1 ip address 172.10.0.1 255.255.255.252 and other gateway x.x.x.2/30). Second, after completing that how would I make a default static route for that interface (Ex. Traditionally: 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.10.0.1). Lastly, I need to setup seperate VLAN's for the meraki switch I want to use as a gateway. (Ex. Traditionally: Int vlan 100 ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0)

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_M
Getting noticed

If I understand correctly, you have the uplink interface with a route to the core gateway. Then you have a VLAN where the switch is the gateway for.

The issue I can see with this so far is that you do not have a route from the core gateway going back to the switch for the subnet you are setting up for. In your example, you will need a route from the Core to 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 to the switch at 172.10.0.2 255.255.255.252.

Depending on the switch model and topology, you might just want to use OSPF for this instead of a static route.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can't configure an IP address on a specific interface.  You have to create a VLAN and assign a port (probably in access mode in this case) to it.

Here is a Meraki MS L3 overview.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Layer_3_Switching_and_Routing

Brons2
Building a reputation

I'm going to rephrase that last post.

You can't configure an IP address on a specific physical interface.

You can put an IP address on a L3 interface in the Routing and DHCP section of your Switch menu.  L3 interfaces are required to be associated with a VLAN in the Meraki world.

Is this something that is on the roadmap or chosen not to be? Is it possible to enable with software update later?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels