Cable testing on ports

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Cable testing on ports

How well/accurate is the cable testing on the Meraki switches? Just looking for opinions on how they have helped. Does it accurately measure cable distance, when you find failures does it happen again when using a different cable, or how often do you notice a cable failure?

Thanks

kYutobi🌝

Enthusiast
3 REPLIES 3
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

It's rare I have a faulty ethernet cable but I just so happened to have one 2 weeks ago

I was transferring about 25GB to my Synology NAS at home, and I noticed it was unusually slow. Peaking at 10MB/s (100Mbps) so I checked the NIC on the Synology OS and sure enough, showing 100Mbps.

Swapped the cable and it went to 1Gbps, much faster.

So I took that cable thinking 'could this really be bad?' and plugged it into my MS120 and MR33 and within 5 minutes I got an email alert about a faulty cable. So it seems to work to me 😃
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Nash
Kind of a big deal

It's been pretty accurate for us. We identified problems with nearly a dozen brand new cables that someone had run through the walls, thanks to the cable test function.

Friends don't let friends hire people who don't regularly run cable.

I have had mixed results, Cable length not always accurate for me. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels