Best practice QoS

nst1
Building a reputation

Best practice QoS

I want apply best practice to my network.

In this case i want QoS, but i have a doubt, why in my dashboard i have in the route Switch > CONFIGURE > Switch Setting and Quality of service

And 

In the route Security SD-WAN > CONFIGURE  > Security SD-WAN and Traffic shaping rules 

What is thedifferencebetween each menu ????

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

One configures QoS on your switches.  The other configures QoS on your MX for traffic heading out the WAN interfaces.

nst1
Building a reputation

Then, the QoS in the Switch is for the user than have connect ? for example.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't understand your question,

When QoS is configured on a switch it affects any packet that matches which is queued to go out of a port.  It can also re-write the QoS markings on any packet flowing through the switch.

nst1
Building a reputation

ok, then your recommendation is enable QoS in my switches and my MX ? or is sufficiently only in my switch ?
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

To be honest, for the majority of customers there is no need to change any of the QoS settings as there is plenty of bandwidth within their switches networks and the default settings on the MX are fine.

What problem are you trying to solve?

nst1
Building a reputation

I am apply best practice in all my netwok. I am follow the recomendation of best practice for LAN of Meraki, then i saw the part of QoS in the switches.

I check my firewall and have the configuration of Security SD-WAN > CONFIGURE > Security SD-WAN and Traffic shaping rules Enable default traffic shaping rules.

That´s why my question if is necessary the configuration QoS in the switches or only with configuration of the MX configuration is it enough.
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Very simply put: if there‘s any need to implement QoS, you‘re gonna have to implement it network-wide. So yes, it isn‘t sufficient at all only configuring it on your switches.

On the other hand, I‘m completely with @PhilipDAth here: in most cases, it hurts more to implement QoS as „best practice“ than just leaving it alone. Especially if you don‘t have a special need to implement it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels