cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Put API L3 firewall rules

SOLVED
Conversationalist

Put API L3 firewall rules

I am using Postman to interact with the API and seem to be stuck on how to issue a PUT for L3 firewall rules. I have a parameter of "rules" with a value of the array as defined in the attached -

I get a 200 message, but when I GET the network the firewall rules have not been modified.

I've also tried defining a "rules": array in the body (as shown in the online Meraki API documentation) with no different results. 

Guidance would be appreciated. 

Sample array used in the value field attached

{
        "comment": "allow https - corp internet",
        "policy": "allow",
        "protocol": "tcp",
        "srcPort": "Any",
        "srcCidr": "10.0.0.0/8",
        "destPort": "443",
        "destCidr": "Any",
        "syslogEnabled": false
    },
    {
        "comment": "allow ssh - corp internet",
        "destPort": "22",
        "syslogEnabled": true
    }
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Conversationalist

Re: Put API L3 firewall rules

I have resolved my issue.   As instructed in the API documentation I have been using the "params" key of "rules" and a "value" of the array.  The body also contained the array as the example code indicated.  If I removed the params key of rules, than I would receive the following error:

404 Bad Request

{ 
     "errors": [
         "Missing parameter -  the \"rules\" parameter is required"
      ]
}

I imported the sample curl example from the Meraki API documentation into Postman and noticed that the params did not include anything, only the body with the array.  I updated my request accordingly and now L3 firewall rules are updated.  As a note, the firewall replaces any existing rules with the array contents. So to update a single rule you would need to include all the rules.

8 REPLIES
Kind of a big deal

I haven't added a rule via API before but I have two observations.

1.  The documentation says "Update L3 Firewall Rules" so I wonder if you are only allowed to update and not add. It doesn't clarify

2.  The rules array appears to be required and make sure to pay attention that it uses a bracket instead of the curly brace so I assume the body of the postman request would be formatted similar to this

{
  "rules": [
      {

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Conversationalist

{
 	"rules": [
 	{
    },
    {
        "comment": "allow ssh - corp internet",
        "destPort": "22",
        "syslogEnabled": true
    }
	]
}

this is what I have tried in the body, I am thinking the value in my params field is not correct, but not sure on what other format it should be in.

You might be onto something with the "Update firewall rule" language instead of "Add", but I tried adding additional destination ports and/or source CIDR in a rule, keeping the same rule order as retrieved in a GET, but the modified rules do not reflect the changes on another GET. 

Conversationalist

I have resolved my issue.   As instructed in the API documentation I have been using the "params" key of "rules" and a "value" of the array.  The body also contained the array as the example code indicated.  If I removed the params key of rules, than I would receive the following error:

404 Bad Request

{ 
     "errors": [
         "Missing parameter -  the \"rules\" parameter is required"
      ]
}

I imported the sample curl example from the Meraki API documentation into Postman and noticed that the params did not include anything, only the body with the array.  I updated my request accordingly and now L3 firewall rules are updated.  As a note, the firewall replaces any existing rules with the array contents. So to update a single rule you would need to include all the rules.

Kind of a big deal

Thanks for following up on this.  I was curious what the resolution would be. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Conversationalist

Hi Guys,

I've been testing with APIs adding adddresses, names, getting networks, devices, etc.

I was trying to add L3 rules into an MX and this really helped since I had the RULES missing parameter, but after doing some testing I'm encountering the following issue.

If I try to add one rule:

[
    {
        "comment": "Test Rule",
        "policy": "deny",
        "protocol": "any",
        "srcCidr": "10.10.37.5/32",
        "destPort": "Any",
        "destCidr": "10.10.36.0/24",
    },
    {
        "comment": "Default rule",
        "protocol": "Any",
        "srcCidr": "Any",
        "destPort": "Any",
    }
]

I get a 200OK but no addition was made, ever further if I enter a rule manually in the portal and I run the same script everything gets deleted and I get the a 200OK but it deletes all the existing rules but the default one.

any guidance would be great.

BTW I'm doing this with postman

Conversationalist

That appears to be the API behavior. You need to define the entire rule set. So if you want to add a rule, you include all the rules plus your addition.  Same from removal of a rule.  All the rules minus the deleted rule. Weird but it works. 

Conversationalist

Thanks for your reply.

I've just tried that last time, I first got the existing rules qith a GET, then I PUT the existing rules plus a new one at the top or at the bottom, and does the same the outcome is deletion of the existing rules but the default one.

Highlighted
UT
Comes here often

On the same topic, have a side question... is there a way to add the same firewall rule to multiple networks??? I know how to do with one network because of you have to define a networkID but what about applying to few networks or all thru Postman?