Not a "developer," but using APIs?

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Not a "developer," but using APIs?

Hello community! 

I'm looking for folks who are using Meraki APIs but previously had little to no experience with programming or software development. If this description fits and you're open to chatting about your experience with Meraki - please message me privately! 

I'd love to learn how you're using Meraki APIs and how that experience has been for you thus far 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
Jason-907
Getting noticed

What do you classify as a developer? I've never had a job doing development, but I have a computer science degree, so have coding experience from college. Since college, I mainly just write scripts to simplify monotonous tasks and it isn't what I was hired to do.

nealgs
Building a reputation

Similar to Jason-907 (but without the degree, lol 🙂 and with 33+yrs IT, mostly doing scripts to automate long winded manual tasks.

Just recently started using Meraki API to automate password changes on guest wifi which seems to work very well.

5ghz
Here to help

Hi, 

i would like to have more information on how to get started with API and programming of the dashboard. scripting and programming is becoming a big part of the dashboard for making multiple updates and if you don't have the experience, the documentation is NOT very good for beginners.

Jason-907
Getting noticed

I've found that looking at sample code helps more than the sparse documentation. A  good resource would be very helpful. In the meantime, I'd focus on something small and get to understand it, then build from there. Is there anything specific that you are wanting to do?

I've done just that, and started with some simple get statements using powershell invoke-restmethod.

I've used the forums which are great and some really helpful people, but the basics really should be documented in example format so you can get started and learn. I totally agree that examples are a great way to learn.

My aim is to parse my get results to a for each loop to use in a put statement. I need to get all my network ids (over 400) to update the same setting on all networks

nealgs
Building a reputation

I'd start by installing postman - allows you to do api calls from an interactive front end - bit like Dev environment and get the results without writing any wrapper type powershell code around it.

It's what i started with, after also finding the documentation a bit lacking in the example area.

I'm using the Invoke-WebRequest  method to get wifi psk and update with new random one on a weekly basis for Guest Wifi.

Powershell scripts takes parameters for site and ssidname with an action switch of Change/Display i've scheduled the script to run once a week on Friday after work and to email the new password to reception ready for guests coming in the following Monday.

It's been running for around a month and seems to work well.

Good luck 🙂 

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

You might be a bit beyond this video at this point - but just in case, here it is! 

https://www.brighttalk.com/webcast/17628/366044

Have you checked out any of the examples on the Explore page of the Developer Hub? I'd love to know what you find is helpful / not - if you have a minute to message me directly.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.