New Feature! Meraki Alerts with Webhooks

DexterLaBora
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

New Feature! Meraki Alerts with Webhooks

We’re pleased to announce the availability of Meraki Webhook Alerts for all alerts within the dashboard!

Meraki Alerts with Webhooks

Meraki Webhook Alerts sends HTTP POSTs to a unique URL that can easily be fed into a receiving service. A receiving service can be as simple as a Webex Teams space, a Google Sheet logging all network alerts, or something more advanced, such as PagerDuty and ServiceNow, that can take the POSTs and create support tickets, send SMS messages to concerned parties, or even automate corrective action.

Read More:
- Blog
- Reference

8 REPLIES 8
kknopp
Conversationalist

I realize this is BETA and am following process steps as noted and trying to run a test to Google Sheets.  Nothing seems to be captured from any events.  (even with updated GitHub code) What is significance of Secret Key and its relationship to Google account?  If there is more docs I may have missed please point me to them.  Thanks

Hi @kknopp,

Thanks for testing out the Google Sheets app.

- If you've updated the script, you must re-publish the app, setting a Project version to one higher.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 4.29.40 PM.png

- The sharedSecret and version were not implemented in the Google Sheets app. This was a list minute addition to the webhook schema. In the future I may add a security handler to the Google script.

Use the Postman collection to test out your sheet. Just update your {{webhook-url}} environment variable with the Google web app URL.

Let me know if you have more questions or feedback.

rwiesmann
A model citizen

Hi,

just tryed also the new Webhook Feature...and I get stucked...

I tried the webhook with Zapier.

In the Meraki Dashboard I added under Webhooks the URL to Zapier. Now there you also have

to give along a Shared secred...and here I' am stucked...what secret is this..from where do i get it?

many thanks to help here.

roger

kknopp
Conversationalist

It sounds like the shared secret is not yet fully implemented for Google Sheets and can be anything.  I have republished and will try again. Thanks

The Shared secret is optional unless required by the receiving application. Google Sheets and Zapier do not support a secret, so you can put anything in there. If you are building your own webhook receiver, then it is advised to leverage this to ensure you trust the incoming data. 

Webhook Doc has been updated: https://create.meraki.io/guides/webhooks/#security

Google Sheets guide has more info on this as well. https://create.meraki.io/build/meraki-dashboard-alerts-with-google-sheets/#meraki-alerts

Further testing via the postman API Webhooks Samples resulted in a 401 Unauthorized reply.  Given a corporate implementation of G-Suite, when authorizing the script, my only choices in the dropdown of "Who has access to the app:"  were 1.) Only myself or 2.)  Anyone  or Anyone within <domain>.com.  Missing was 3.) Anyone, even anonymous   A non corp Google Sheet test allows for option 3 and it appears that is required to get things to post to the sheet as follow on testing confirmed.  Any suggested alternatives to solve it using a corporate implementation of G-Suite?  Thanks

If you are using Google Apps for business, it is likely the administrator has disabled this option. You will need to either have this adjusted or test this solution using a personal Google account. 

(from a stackoverflow thread)

This setting is controlled by the domain administrator via the "Allow users in [domain] to publish files on the web or make them visible to the world as public or unlisted files" options that's under "Settings for Drive and Docs".

Note that after checking that option, you'll have to create a new Script in order to be able to publish it with "Anonymous" access. Existing scripts don't seem to get that option even after the setting has been changed.

Also note the Google issue tracker for this: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36764781

Goodlovesa
Here to help

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2018/10/real-time-alerting-with-webhooks/# its works...thx Imran Idrees Salam. goodlovesa
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.