MR45 and MR55 AP's

TimF
New here

MR45 and MR55 AP's

Hi guys and gals

Just needed some help with understanding the 802.11ax AP's a little better.

Is there a limit on the number of devices that can connect to theses AP's?

8 REPLIES 8
hoempf
Getting noticed

Hi Tim

There's usually no hard limit on any AP from any vendor regarding the number of connected clients. The same goes for MR45 and MR55. If you are planning for a high density environment there's a pretty good summary on the docs providing a lot of detail:

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/...

Does this help?

Nydo89
Here to help

Hi,

there should be no limit on simply connected clients.

The bottleneck will be the connection to the backwards infrastructure such as switches/firewalls with multigig ports and the connection to the ressources you want to access.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

As stated by @hoempf and @Nydo89 the practical limit is much lower than the theoretical limit (128). There are a lot of factors in play here.

• What's the rf spectrum like. A clean environment will perform better.
  • How is it configured: what's the minimum bitrate set to, larger or smaller cells
  • What kind of clients are being used. With Wi-Fi 6 the offered airtime resources can be finetuned to what the clients need. So there can logically be more clients if they have lower needs. But for that they also need to support Wi-Fi 6.
  • Also the presence of MIMO on the clients will infuence things. In any case, more antenna's is better of course as you can have more data streams.
  • What are the clients doing. Clients streaming all the time will take up more resources both in the air and in the processing power of the AP.
  • What's the uplink of the access point like, if not mGig you can easily hit a bottleneck there.

The document posted by @hoempf will help.

I´m not a huge fan of how much clients can a single ap handle types of discussions in general. However there is a pretty fresh Comparison Chart Meraki MR Indoor Portfolio out there with MR45 and MR55 included.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I found that document too @Roska . Looks like a Meraki document, but I wonder if it really is.

yes, I can´t really recall where and whom send it to me but I´d say its legit 🙂

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

That´s the one I´m using too

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.