Device Interface Statistics

Solved
e360
Conversationalist

Device Interface Statistics

Can device interface statistics be queried through the API?  I am looking to obtain bandwidth stats on uplink interfaces. (in kbps)  SNMP doesn't offer specific bandwidth usage stats in kbps, and doesn't offer a time value (like uptime) to accurately calculate bandwidth.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Would netflow give you what you want?
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
MacuserJim
A model citizen

The only statistics I know about being able to get via API is what interface are being used and the amount of sent and received data.

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Would netflow give you what you want?
TwitterLinkedIn
e360
Conversationalist

>Would netflow give you what you want?

There's a lot of overhead and excess data for which I don't really care about in Netflow.  As well, Netflow is enabled for the whole site.  Not just an interface; or a specific device.  It's enabled "network wide".  I don't know what that means.  I have a firewall, switches and several wireless access points.  Am I receiving an aggregate value of all devices?
That being said, I am trying to use Netflow, now.  My system has the ability to collect Netflow data.  Though that has its limitations too. At least I have a better insight into traffic utilization.

Thank you

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Netflow traffic will only be coming from the MX per your network you have it setup for. But I understand what your saying 😃

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Monitoring_and_Reporting/NetFlow_Overview
TwitterLinkedIn
e360
Conversationalist

> Netflow traffic will only be coming from the MX per your network you have it setup for. But I understand what your saying 😃

Thank you, Nolan. I also found something which alluded to NETFLOW being sourced from the MX, only. Which is fine...for me...because that's the uplink I wanted to monitor, anyway.
I'll also say...despite my apprehension to using NETFLOW...it's already turned out to be a much more useful source of information. As suspected, I discovered some bandwidth anomalies; and with NETFLOW, I was able to determine the source very quickly.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you query the interface data volume every 60s then you can calculate the average bit rate.  You don't need to worry about the timing on the device - you just need to time when you make your queries.

e360
Conversationalist

> If you query the interface data volume every 60s then you can calculate the average bit rate. You don't need to worry about the timing on the device - you just need to time when you make your queries.

For a brief, manual-effort analysis, that would be adequate. As part of an on-going, systems monitoring process, that may not be very accurate method. There's overhead and latency on the system performing the queries. (and I'm not sure that I could even have the platform do the math.)
Thank you for the reply, though.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.