Creating a network container which should be bound to a template

Steven
Getting noticed

Creating a network container which should be bound to a template

What's the process? Do I create a network, first, by copying from the template and then follow that up with a bind operation or is there an all-in-one API that creates the network container already bound to a template?

7 Replies 7
MacuserJim
A model citizen

There are multiple ways you can do that. I think the most basic and easiest would to be create the network and at the time of creation to select the option to bind it to a template upon creation.

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 3.50.11 PM.png

Other options are to create the network, then navigate to Organization > Configuration templates > "template of your choice"  and then bind a network to that template. Or you can use the API in some fashion, but that would be more if you are doing mass changes, otherwise I don't think it is very practical.

I'm specifically asking about API.  I need to know whether or not it's a two-step operation or a one-step operation

Ah, sorry about that. it is two different API calls. Below is a Python script I have for mass creating networks that can give you an idea.

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 4.02.09 PM.png

Thanks.  Quick question.  If I create a new network by cloning an existing network do I clone the template and then bind the new network to that template.  Or do I clone another network container (not the template) and then bind to the template?

To clarify, you are wanting to make a new network, and them bind it to the same template as another network so it has the same settings, right? If you are binding it to the same template you don't need to clone the template, just create the new network and then bind it to the template.

Ah, OK.  Makes sense.  Just create a network with a name, tags, time zone, blah blah blah and then get the NetId for the newly created network and bind to the ConfigTemplateId of the desired template.  Right?

Precisely.  👍🏼

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.