API Dashboard "Return a client" GET doesn't works

SOLVED
AntonioGrillo
Here to help

API Dashboard "Return a client" GET doesn't works

Hi,

try to use postman for this GET via Dashboard API but doesn't works, some ideas?

GET Return a client

https://api.meraki.com/api/v0/networks/{{networkId}}/clients/{{clientMac}}
Return the client associated with the given identifier. This endpoint will lookup by client ID or either the MAC or IP depending on whether the network uses Track-by-IP.

All the GET without "clientMac" variable works perfectly.

https://documenter.getpostman.com/view/897512/meraki-dashboard-api/2To9xm#intro

Some ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just called Meraki support and they informed me that they aren't aware of any method to grant access to the PII api endpoints to North American based organizations.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

I take that back.  I can't get this new API to work either.

I've had success in the past with the similar API

/api/v0/devices/[serial]/clients?timespan=7200

This returns all devices connected to a specified device.  You would call this API for each device in a network.

@HodyCrouch

Yes, this work also for me, in fact there isn't client variable.

I need with a single call GET identify a mac-address client if i know its IP Address.

If i search in a client list i need a DB for scanning the data...

Steinbep
Getting noticed

I haven't had an issue with new the API call.  Can you post your results? 

This is the get request from my Postman "{{baseUrl}}/networks/{{networkId}}/clients/{{clientMac}}"

@Steinbep

for you works also if you put the IP address in clientmac variable?

@AntonioGrillo

I don't track my clients by IP.  You need to turn that on.

see documentation:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Client_Tracking_Options

FYI, I tried to test tracking by IP and got the following error:

• Tracking clients by IP addresses is not supported in a combined network and will break client tracking data.

I read that:
"Return the client associated with the given identifier. This endpoint will lookup by client ID or either the MAC or IP depending on whether the network uses Track-by-IP."

the way I read this:
1) We should always be able to poll for the client ID
2) poll via mac or IP, is based on Client Tracking.

I'm tracking by Mac and not IP as well, so I should be able to do a call with the client Mac address and have that return. It does not.

I should be always able to make the call and use the client ID and have that return, it does not.

meraki_get.jpg

may be the call function isn't activate yet ??

The clientMac has to be in the same networkId. I have searched for a mac that was not in the network I had set in my variables and it returned a 404. 

@Steinbep

Hi, the clients are in the same networkId, i put the IP from this other GET call....

meraki_get2.jpg

@AntonioGrillo

Can you show me your Security Appliance/Addressing & Vlans page?meraki_comm.JPG

@Steinbep it shouldn't matter what your tracking is set to, as long as you are calling the correct element. If you are tracking by Mac, you call the client Mac. if you are tracking by IP, you call the client IP. but you should *always* be able to call the client ID. I just tested this both with track Mac and track IP and I get a 404 error either way I try to test it.

I've reached out to the SE that posted the meraki.py on Github to see if he can weigh in on this as well.

Works both ways for me.

meraki_comm3.JPGmeraki_comm2.JPG

chengineer
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi team, these new GDPR/PII calls are already active, but don't show up by default for non-European Dashboard orgs yet. You can, however, have Meraki Support or your SE enable them by requesting the org to have PII endpoints turned on.

Solutions Architect @ Cisco Meraki | API & Developer Ecosystem

@chengineer so the new "client" calls pertain GDPR? thank you for weighing in Shiyue
chengineer
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

That's correct, so you need the backend option to enable it.

@chengineer

Can you add that to the documentation?

while they don't show up under Help > API, they do show up on (Postman Documentation)
chengineer
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Sure, I'll pass that feedback to the team. In the meantime, once you have the PII endpoints enabled, here's a draft of a script to gather all clients across an entire organization. Please let me know your feedback; thanks!

Sorry, but i don't understand. Can I enable this PII on the dashboard or i need to call the support?

chengineer
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

The latter.
colo
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Please call Meraki support to enable this new API endpoint. It is only enabled for EU customers at this time. GDPR requires the PII information. Meraki plans to roll out to other regions, but we take into account privacy, scalability, and reliability as we roll out new features.

Colin Lowenberg
Take the Meraki Challenge
solutions.meraki.com/challenge

I just called Meraki support and they informed me that they aren't aware of any method to grant access to the PII api endpoints to North American based organizations.

@chengineer Good to know.  My SE must have enabled. 

wifijanitor
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'm seeing the same issue.

I see that the PIP module is updated (0.34) and it has the Client function defined.

when I attempt to make the call, however, it fails.
it doesn't matter if I use the mac, IP or client-ID.

for anyone that can make this work, what is your dashboard address?
I'm hitting n49, and I'm wondering if there is just a slowness in the calls being opened to other shards
Pmeza
Here to help

I believe this still doesn't work correctly and hasn't been updated, at least for NA clients. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.