Person Box vs. Playback

Priesty
Building a reputation

Person Box vs. Playback

Sup Merakians,

Anyone else notice on playback of the video with "show people" option enabled the yellow box around the person will often appear before the footage and actually travel in the direction only for the person to appear seconds laters and follow it.

Wondering if its the meta-data of the box not keeping up with the actually footage or a delay in the times?

Client asked why it did this, told them it predicts their motion of travel - couldn't help but have a laugh.

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I blame Quantum physics.

Priesty
Building a reputation

or perhaps its proof of the matrix

GeorgeB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

With most ML CV implementations the bounding boxes for the detections are rendered in the video pipeline and burnt into the final video. With MV we don't do this, instead we use the browser to draw the bounding boxes in real time using the co-ordinate data from the ML CV inference data stored in the Meraki cloud.

We do this for a couple of reasons. If the bounding boxes are burnt into the video then it means we would have to create a duplicate video recording to ensure there is a recording without boxes should that be what a customer wants. Secondly it allows us to render visualizations for many other things we may want to show in the future. These would just be additional overlays as we update the ML CV model with more capabilities.

What are the potential downsides of this? As the video is coming from the camera, and the metadata for rendering the boxes is coming from the cloud, they have to become synchronized. As the video data is much bigger (>1000kbps) than the metadata (<10kbps) it can take longer to load and lead to the boxes appearing and moving before the associated video has loaded. This is particularly noticeable when using the cloud proxy remote view over a small Internet connection. These will sync up as the browser can catch-up with both data sets.

EJN
A model citizen

"This is particularly noticeable when using the cloud proxy remote view over a small Internet connection. These will sync up as the browser can catch-up with both data sets."

Could there be a setting where you force a delay in playback until the browser catches up? Delay 10 seconds for buffering or something to that effect? The toggle would say "playback immediately vs. delay playback until full sync."

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There is already quite a delay.  Most people (like me) want the opposite - less delay more real time.

Priesty
Building a reputation

Would be a pretty pointless option, would be better to just fix the streaming protocol and catch up with the MVs nearest competitor.

EJN
A model citizen

Agreed with all that the ideal fix is to reduce/eliminate the 5-10 second delay (I have not seen 5 seconds, I experience 8-10 always).

But I think this thread was dealing with a separate issue... lag/disconnect between the actual person and the box around the person. This is the case where I was suggesting a toggle to delay playback until the view can sync up the lag between person and box. So even if you still have a 8-10 second delay in live view, allow for proper playback of people/box with no lag in the box.

Anyway, no need to further discuss on this subject (that is, until MV programmers request feedback from users on this as/if needed).

PS Who is MV's nearest competitor with no lag? My trials of Rhombus and Verkada both had delays as well, although I think they were shorter.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Priesty
Building a reputation

I believe Verkada got it down to 2 seconds

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.