MV 4.0 firmware promoted to stable

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MV 4.0 firmware promoted to stable

MV 4.0 firmware has now been promoted to stable.  Once you upgrade to this release you can not downgrade to 3.x firmwares.

I've not been brave enough to do the upgrade because of this.

Anyone else had V4 experiences they would like to share?

11 REPLIES 11
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I upgraded my home MV72 right after it released. I had the ~12 hour missing footage bug present and it seems to have cleared that up. No further problems found so far. 

I have two cameras on it, MV12 and MV72 and no issues on my end so far
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Ok, I'm going to push two of our cameras too it.

Priesty
Building a reputation

I've got 42 cameras running on it. Heaps more stable then the v3 versions and have found the microphone enabled they run heaps better.

wifi connectivity good, fast response, no issues yet

EJN
A model citizen

Going to upgrade my 100 cameras now...

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Priesty
Building a reputation

excellent
Roger_Beurskens
Building a reputation

Received my MV12 today.
Didn't even have the option to not use MV 4.0 😉
GeorgeB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

MV 4.0 contains significant under the hood changes that we have been working on for the last 12+ months. This means this firmware contains many tweaks, updates, and fixes which improve camera functionality. Due to this scope, it is also the reason why it is not possible to downgrade from this firmware.

It is highly recommended all customers move to this firmware, and new cameras will be shipping with this firmware. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've been running the V4 firmware for about 2 weeks now and on the whole I feel it is better.

I'm still experiencing issues where the cameras are failing to record properly if they don't get regular power cycles.  I should say this is happening on a small percentage of cameras across multiple orgs.  It doesn't just keep happening to the same camera.  You really need a bunch of cameras to be able to observe these issues.

For example, this is an MV12 on "live view".  You see that break in the green bar below - that is an example where it simply stopped recording for no reason.  If you try and view the video during that period it simply says their is no video available.

There is nothing in the MV event log.  It is plugged into an MS and that shows no loss of connectivity in the switch port connectivity bar.  So I'm going to guess it crashed and rebooted.

Note that I am using this particular camera with MQTT.  MQTT seems to make the cameras less happy.

1.PNG

I'm also having some issues with MV32's only recording a partial frame for short periods of time (like 10s).  Example:

Screenshot - Indoor Garden - Dec 13 2019 012354 PM NZDT.png

I also get periods when using MQTT and the snapshot API where I just get errors returned, like 503 bad gateway, or I get back a zero byte image.

Once I start getting 503 errors I need to reboot the cameras to get it working again.  The camera can work fine for 4 to 7 days before the issue starts happening.

I think using MQTT with the cameras makes their stability deteriorate.

I did try opening a support case but I got back "Currently, we are unaware of any issues occurring on MVs running on firmware 4 with respect to APIs. Hence I would highly recommend rebooting your camera when the issue occurs and try again.".

I have shifted to making the MS switches power cycles the cameras every 7 days with a port schedule.  My impression is that this has reduced the problems a lot (with the V3.x firmware I used to do daily power cycles).

I should "make a wish".  On most Meraki devices their is a local status page and you can create a support diagnostic package.  I wish there was someway I could do this with the MVs.  Because it is pretty much impossible for support to help - because they don't seem to have anyway to investigate when either the cameras are not recording properly or they APIs are not working (such as returning 503 bad gateway).

@PhilipDAth the support person you spoke to should not have given you this feedback. Please re-raise the case and ask for them to investigate it. If you run into issues ask for it to be escalated. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think I'll want till the end of January so the "full force" is back in the office and have another go with support.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.