Competitor has latency down to 1-2 seconds (revisit old topic)

EJN
A model citizen

Competitor has latency down to 1-2 seconds (revisit old topic)

Verkada reported this in their 7/19/19 update:

"Latency: The improvements cut latency to 1-2 seconds for SD streams whether streamed locally or over the WAN."

I want to think this is top 3/5/10 in Meraki's wish list.

Source: https://www.verkada.com/blog/simplified-streaming-architecture/

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Because Meraki use Apple's HLS, Meraki can't do anything about this until two things happens:

* Apple improves the HLS startup time

* Web browsers get updated to use the change that Apple make.

Don't hold your breath.

Latency of the cameras isn't a real issue for me, whether it takes 1 second or 10 it doesn;t really affect the end result of what I am doing with the camera i.e. live monitoring or looking through historical footage.

I'm with you in that I can live with the 10 second delay now. During setup it's noticeable as you are doing the initial adjustment, but after that you don't even "know it" other than looking at the screen and saying, "oh, that happened 10 seconds ago."

I do have the scenario where I want to monitor 3 entrance doors for security, and a 10 second delay could be the difference between getting there on-time or getting there too late.

As feedback to the Meraki Team, best scenario would be instant, no delay. I think under 5 seconds would be a good target (2-3 seconds, to stay with par with the other vendors in this space).

Currently in our local network I'm experiencing 8-10 seconds.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
EJN
A model citizen

On 10/2 I experienced 2-3 second lag (delay from live). Does someone know if 3.34 firmware addressed this issue? My cameras updated to 3.34 on 9/27 and I was pleasantly surprised and the improvement in lag. Was it as a result of 3.34 or something else?

I will test again this coming week to see if it holds.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.