vmx100 to vmx M best practice

PRISMI
Conversationalist

vmx100 to vmx M best practice

Hi guys,

in next few days, we are forced to make the change from VMx100 to VmxM . 

I have read this guide vMX100 to vMX S/M/L Transition FAQ - Cisco Meraki and i have some question about this step : 

1. Delete the vMX100 instance from the platform where it is hosted.

what mean ? in azure we have  : 

1) dedicated subnet for the vmx100

2)  dedicated resource group for the Meraki

3)  resource group starting with the name on point 2) followed by random numbers and letters. This resources-group is locked and you cannot unlock it

What i need to delete? we want to redeploy the new vmxM with the same Ip etc etc.

Anyone can explain me what exacly i need to delete in azure?

Thanks and best regards.

* resource group Meraki + 

15 REPLIES 15
Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PRISMI : vMX100 is a virtual instance on the Azure as a VM. So before you go with the new vMX-M you need to remove the vMX 100 instance and add check the new vMX-M om Marketplace and configure for that.

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
PRISMI
Conversationalist

Hi,

i need to remove the vMX100 Virtual Machine only ? 

i don't need to remove the resource group created with the vMX100 ?

Best regards.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Azure is not very flexible in this area.

Deleting the VMX100 is a bit painful.  From memory, the only way to do it is to delete the managed resource group.  This will delete the VMX, and everything that got created by it.

walletman
Just browsing

How did your migration go? 

What did you end up deleting?

You go into "Managed Applications", and delete it from there.

JeetuSharma
Comes here often

Hello Everyone, 
Im also sailing in the same boat- need to Transition my customer from vmx100 to vmx-m ,
Can we deploy a new vmx-m setup side by side in parallel so that the production vmx100 does not get affected and once new vmx-m is deployed?
I also saw there is a re-deply vmx option in Azure, has anyone tried this option

You could consider doing it - but it is about 10x more work.

So far, I have just blown away and re-deployed each time.

JeetuSharma
Comes here often

Thank you Philip for replying ,

So , please let me know if my following steps will work
1- if I backup vmx-100 on azure and delete it  and i try that redeploy option to deploy vmx-m
and for some reason this deployment does not work, 
Will i be able to Restore the old vmx-100 which i deleted and everything will be back to normal,

Sorry one last question but not least 🙂  , any idea how much time does this backup-restore process takes on Azure, if i go that path....

Thanks Philip in advance!!!

Azure will not allow you to back up the VMX.

JeetuSharma
Comes here often

Oh ok- got it,
Thank you!

JeetuSharma
Comes here often

Hi Philip, 
Had a quick query, do you think if i follow this below link  with all steps explained ,? i should be able to deploy this whole thing of vmx-m Azure serving with Meraki vmx-m ?

http://vpackets.net/2020/03/cisco-meraki-vmx-100-deployment-in-azure/

For me it will be pertaining to new deployment of vmx-m instead of vmx100 as shown in this link,
I believe i will have to delete current prod vmx100, and associated resource group with it , first, correct?

Just want to make sure before i start deploying vmx-m, i have everything covered from this instructions/steps!

Thank you so much! 

I don't think those instructions are up to date.  I would use the Meraki instructions:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/vMX_Setup_Guide_for_Microsoft_Azure 

Special warning - set the Zone to "None".  Don't use any other values.

What you could do is do a practice deployment in a test Meraki network so you get the hang of it, delete the practice one, and then you know the process for when you do the real one.

JeetuSharma
Comes here often

Perfect!

And any idea how much time this whole process of Azure/Meraki deployment may take,
If i get to know the approximate time frame then i can tell my customer accordingly how much time we will be down :)?

Thanks

chrisautomates
Here to help

I have done this before, you need to delete the Managed Application. Search that up in azure and you should see it.

That should also take care of the VM and managed resource group. 

When you redeploy you can reuse the resource group you created, vnet/subnet, and route table. Make sure you adjust the route table is the new vmx gets a different IP.

Make sure to reenabled s2s vpn

JeetuSharma
Comes here often

Hey Chris, really appreciate your response,

Thank you so much!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.