vMX for VmWare

SOLVED
Phill_Northwood
Here to help

vMX for VmWare

Hey Meraki Community....

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a vMX for VMware ?  I have a large dc full of VMware hosts and it would be nice to be able to deploy a vMX there without adding new electronics to the environment (power requirements).... ?

Cheers

Phill.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Phill

I understand Cisco Meraki have vMX for AWS and Azure as of now.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/appliances/vmx100

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
s4mmy
Here to help

Negative, no VMware based vMX at this point.
AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi Phill

I understand Cisco Meraki have vMX for AWS and Azure as of now.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/appliances/vmx100

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Azure and AWS vMX is not a solution.

We are a IaaS/PaaS provider hosted in our DataCentre on VMWare/Hyper-v. All of our customers have MX on-premise which have a site to site VPN back to our infrastructure which we then have to use a competitors Firewall product to terminate the VPNs back into our infrastructure. I would much prefer to use MX Auto vpn on provider side! Meraki is simply missing out on a large slice of license sales which we are just passing to a competitor  as we run a virtual firewall for each customer in our infrastructure.

Phill_Northwood
Here to help

Ok so it appears I'm left looking at a vMX in azure with s-2-s vpns to my existing DC firewalls... not awesome but probably workable.

@Phill_Northwood I would be interested to here more about your use case. VMWare seem to be pushing their AWS and NSX story hard here in Scandinavia.

Any update on this when vMX on vmware will become available?

Hi Phil, did you ever implement this (vMX in Azure, then s2s to your DC firewalls)?

Todd_Z
Here to help

That's an interesting concept to me. I vm everything in my data center, but the one thing I haven't is my Internet edge. The idea of keeping that physically separate is still my preference for security, and the HA in MX is so easy to configure. It sounds like VmWare doesn't support it yet, so that answers that question but still a very interesting design thought if it becomes supported.

brentedgecomb
Conversationalist

I would really like to see a vMX for VMware as well. Our IaaS/DRaaS provider (iland Cloud) runs VMware ESX, so the Azure and AWS offerings really do not work for us. We use MX at our office locations for SD-WAN and auto-VPN, but it's been a real pain point trying to operate without these features (using NSX), not to mention the single pane of glass.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.