vMX Azure

SOLVED
BS
Getting noticed

vMX Azure

Hi all,

Im looking for some inputs on the vMX in Azure.

To achieve SD-WAN, circuit diversity which type of internet connection I should select in the pricing, is there HA available in the vMX ?

Regards

BS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

vMX is not free.

You need to buy a licence from Cisco Meraki to use it (like all other Cisco Meraki kit).  You also need to pay Microsoft Azure for the virtual machine charges and data traffic.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

HA is not available with vMX in Azure.

I wasn't aware Azure had different types of "Internet circuits" available to choose from - what are your options?

BS
Getting noticed

Hi Philip

Thank you for the response.

Even I'm not sure, I'm aware that there are Internet pricing

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/bandwidth/

My scenario is that I got 11 branches and most of my application stack will be with Azure, Instead of going through Internet breakout and accessing the apps, I feel let these branches connect to a vMX in the Azure so that the performance will be slightly better

In this scenario which internet option I need to choose, could you please guide.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is simply what Azure will charge you for bandwidth.  You don't get to choose anything.

Yes, a vMX in Azure would be a good choice.

Here are the deployment instructions:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Installation_Guides/vMX100_Setup_Guide_for_Microsoft_Azure

BS
Getting noticed

Thanks Philip, as a newbie in meraki  I was confused and thought I need to consider separate internet connection to receive Public IP on my WAN Interfaces.

vMX was mentioned as free of cost along with other azure workloads.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

vMX is not free.

You need to buy a licence from Cisco Meraki to use it (like all other Cisco Meraki kit).  You also need to pay Microsoft Azure for the virtual machine charges and data traffic.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

vMX is not free.

Philip is right. The only thing "free" about the vMX is the VM image itself. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

All true. If I recall the pricing the license for the vMX is $5000 list price. 

There is no HA for the vMX Azure will fail over to another host if required by a failure event. It is also a single legged device with both private IP and public like other Azure servers.

I've had one running now for 6 months with limited issues. All being on the Azure side due to host problems and the wonderful SouthCentral outage last month. 

In all the vMX on Azure works quite well.

I hope this helps.

-Dennis

BS
Getting noticed

Thanks Dennis

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.