What happens when the max concurrent tunnel is hit ?

AGO
Conversationalist

What happens when the max concurrent tunnel is hit ?

There are so many articles related to Meraki MX sizing guide but no one clearly explains What happens when the max concurrent tunnel is hit ? For e.g. regards to limitation of MX6x series => "Allowed" VPN connection is 50 Connections, and today we have 46. Do anyone knows what is the risk and impact if this limit is reached ?

AGO
4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer.

I would enable client VPN and get a bunch of people to VPN in and see what happens.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Not sure either, but I can tell you that that max limit is not assuming any level of workable functionality. It's basically "a tunnel will form", with no expectation that you'll get decent performance once you pass data.

If you're regularly sitting at 46 active connections on a firewall with max 50 concurrent, you probably need to size that friend up.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Could you open a ticket with support and ask them and then let us know the answer?

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey AGO, Connor here from Meraki Support.

It's not a hard limit as far as I'm aware, we simply include these figures as this is a recommended number of clients before you start to experience reduced throughput due to CPU/Device limitations. Each device connected either locally or remotely regardless of if it's only using a small amount of traffic adds additional load to the device's internals.

Kind regards,

--

Connor Loughlin
Network Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:. Cisco Meraki EMEAR 🇬🇧

For reference, many questions can be easily answered by searching our online documentation: http://documentation.meraki.com

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels