cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WE Need IPV6 Support in MX

Highlighted
New here

WE Need IPV6 Support in MX

Subject says it all...  We need proper IPV6 support in the MX Platform...    Even IPV6 tunnelling doesn't work at this point.

Anyone else have soem comments?

Tags (1)
27 REPLIES
Building a reputation

Re: WE Need IPV6 Support in MX

cantechit wrote:

Subject says it all...  We need proper IPV6 support in the MX Platform...    Even IPV6 tunnelling doesn't work at this point.

Anyone else have soem comments?

Can't agree enough. Specifically, on the WAN portion.

I've been requesting this for a while now. Clearly not a priority for the MX team unfortunately. 

Here to help

This has become a problem for our customers that use the client VPN and have T-Mobile iOS devices. Since T-Mobile has moved to IPv6 only, and the iPhone's lack of CLAT support, the VPN client doesn't work.

Conversationalist

I've been waiting for IPv6 support for years now, and there's been little or no apparent movement on it.  I'd be happy with a separate beta firmware branch that has it enabled even if it's a bit broken.

Building a reputation

Bryan_Vukich wrote:

I've been waiting for IPv6 support for years now, and there's been little or no apparent movement on it.  I'd be happy with a separate beta firmware branch that has it enabled even if it's a bit broken.

This. All of our WAN providers have IPv6 being given to us, and we can't use it.

I'll second. The time has come for full IPv6 support.

New here

Yes much needed support.  Have to sell cisco solutions when customer need IPv6 which is more and more    Websites behind meraki need IPv6 support.   Would love to sell meraki solution

Rol
New here

Fully agree... and if IPv6 is too complicated for Meraki's developers, they probably can get some help from Cisco dev. team Smiley Wink

Meraki, you've added the possibility to have an IPv6 to the Switches... now finish the work and add a full IPv6 support to the MX, the AP, ...

Rol.

Building a reputation

At this point I'm genuinely curious about the lack of IPv6 support on the WAN for the MX series. They have expanded IPv6 support to much of the other product lines, yet it remains missing from the WAN side.

@BHC_RESORTS Agreed. I've been asking about it for a while now. Perhaps they're having a hard time making it Meraki simple to run dual-stack. 

Tags (1)
New here

Can we get a formal statement from Meraki Product Manager on the lack of IPv6 support on the MX products? Is the PM listening in on this thread?

This is now more and more a must-have!

Regards,

Erik

New here

Totally agree. Chasing them for a year now. Just cannot believe that this is so hard to develop. Every other plastic box has it.

Here to help

agreed. especially for clientVPN.

Tags (1)
Getting noticed

Completely agree, especially for Client VPN.

Meraki MX Product Managers, why are you so silent on this topic? What is the point of having a "community" if you aren't going to update those of us deploying and managing Meraki based networks for our mutual customers? IPV6 has landed and you can't support it?

Cohort Networks Inc.
Your Business. Connected.
Getting noticed

The main thing is IPv6 is supported on the CIsco platform, its adapting it for the Meraki Dashboard that takes an effort and they haven't informed us of their time/effort on this.

I really strongly recommend IPv6 implementation since more and more web resources are efficient via IPv6 due to NAT traversal that IPv4 has to perform.

Find my post helpful? Please give me a kudo!
CCNP Certified and Meraki Operator
A model citizen

Chris_M wrote:

The main thing is IPv6 is supported on the CIsco platform, its adapting it for the Meraki Dashboard that takes an effort and they haven't informed us of their time/effort on this.

Just to be clear - the MX devices don't run IOS. 

Conversationalist

Does anyone have a update on this, and did anyone see this post below by chance then attend the webinar?

Also I see there is another quarterly update webinar coming up, maybe an opportunity to ask Meraki directly.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/MX100/m-p/7718/highlight/true#M1987
Correct @MRCUR IPv6 routing is not there now but being developed on the MX line.  @JeromeBL tune into a Meraki Quarterly or Meraki MX webinar and you can ask live Q&A.  For example there is an MX webinar coming up on Jan 4th.  https://meraki.cisco.com/webinars

Getting noticed

I will be attending the quarterly update webinar. We'll see if anything being said there.

Getting noticed

I agree, other vendors have been offering this for a while now. I suggest we all go to our dashboard now and make a request for it, if you have already made a request do it again.

At the end of the day we need products that work for us and if Meraki won't listen they will lose business.

@MerakiDave @CarolineS Can you push this, the community have been asking for a long time now!

Meraki CMNO, Ruckus WISE, Sonicwall CSSA, Allied Telesis CASE & CAI
Meraki Employee

ACK.  There will be some announcements coming up in the next month, unfortunately I don't think IPv6 for the MX is in the next batch of regular product/feature announcements.  But the fearute request is firmly in place.  Please do get your designs and use cases fed back through your Meraki sales team, they need to take any/all of your opportunities and add them to the Feature Request so things can be prioritized, and you may also be able to get on an early beta firmware when the time comes.

Building a reputation

@MerakiDave IPv6 WAN support is really what is needed on our side. All of our upstream providers offer it. While we don't really have any plans for IPv6 port forwarding or anything like that ATM, offloading traffic to native IPv6 is just part of being a good netizen. We also like to support the broadest range of connectivity options we can.

We need IPv6 support for a customer solution to service the dual stack solution they are asking!

Getting noticed

The quarterly update confirms that they are aware of the increasing request for IPv6. Some regions are becoming exclusively or dominantly IPv6 and a team is working on it but no projections at this time.

Its recommended to provide a use case so they can optimize their development process to fulfill our wishes.

Here to help

use case: VPN clients with IPv6 only connectivity must be able to connect.

A model citizen

Chris_M wrote:

Its recommended to provide a use case so they can optimize their development process to fulfill our wishes.

This sort of drives me nuts about the Meraki internal feature request process. What is the use case for IPv6 on the MX line (or ANY product line)? IPv6 connectivity is the use case. It's 2018. IPv6 is not new. It's widely available from the ISP side. 

Not everything can directly be tied to a specific sale or use case. The MX line is meant to be a modern UTM/firewall appliance... IPv6 should probably be part of the feature set. 

Getting noticed

@MRCUR Agreed. I heard MS's are getting IPv6 Routing and MR's already have some support its time for MX's to get full IPv6 support. Especially when cheap consumer routers are getting it.

I totally understand providing use cases to justify some feature requests but @MRCUR hits the nail with this one the use case is getting the support.

Building a reputation

@MRCUR: Completely agree. Our ISPs offer us IPv6 and it would be great to offer it as well.