VMX now available on premises!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

VMX now available on premises!

I wanted to make a special call-out after a document update by @CameronMoody.  The Cisco Meraki VMX can now be run on-premises if you are using Cisco UCS-C series servers and using Cisco's NFVIS virtualization system.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/vMX_Setup_Guide_for_NFVIS 

12 Replies 12
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That's great...but why are we limited to UCS-C series servers?  Whats the timeframe for implementation onto none Cisco servers?  Off the top of my head surely its cheaper to procure a physical MX at this point...especially if a new deployment.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

If you’re only looking for a single MX, then the hardware appliance is the best option. I believe this is really a play for MSPs who may need many MXs in a rack, now you can put multiple (virtual) devices in a single RU. The other positioning is for enterprises that need scale beyond the MX450; rather than deploying multiple MX450 you can deploy multiple VMX on the same hardware (although the redundancy might not be so appealing).

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>That's great...but why are we limited to UCS-C series servers? 

That's like saying why not let MX software run on a competitors hardware, like Juniper.

That's like saying to your customers you don't mind if they use a competing MSP instead of you.

It just makes good business sense to use your own products that you already sell.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth I'd guess it is to have a known base, a bit like when CUCM first could be virtualized, it had to be on UCS and then others followed, although we just used unsupported others with no issues...!

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

**site 😉

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@cmr wrote:

**site 😉

Oh do I wish people would just use that word instead of using that completely wrong word. 

I also wish I was less OCD on this because I'm basically triggered all day every day with the massive amount of people who don't know (or care) about the difference 😞

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Lol, @jdsilva I'm pretty OCD too and constantly get confused about which is right, so take it back to basics!

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

**prem

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>*premises

I always thought premises was the plural of premise.  Thanks for updating me on that.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

>*premises

I always thought premises was the plural of premise.  Thanks for updating me on that.

I think that's what most people think, but yeh... Two totally different words. 

Sorry for being the grammar police in your thread. No one likes that guy.. 🙂

And sorry for you not being able to unsee it going forward. Welcome to my hell.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

"on-prem"

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.