VMX in Amazon Local Zones

Aggietallboy
New here

VMX in Amazon Local Zones

Within the past couple years, Amazon has introduced Local Zones:

https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/global-infrastructure/localzones/

These are Datacenters closer to the end users. For me, that means here in Houston.

We have VMX in US-EAST (36 ms) and US-WEST (55ms), but to really get low latency (i.e. sub millisecond) we'd REALLY like to put a VMX into the IAH local zone, and move some application/database servers there.

But here's the problem.

Cisco/Meraki has locked the VMX to exactly three Amazon instance types:

m4.large, c5.large and c5.xlarge

In all of the local zones in the US (except for Los Angeles) the instance types are limited to:

T3, C5d, R5d, and G4dn

NONE of which will work, because the VMX AMI is locked to the three specific instances.

I submit that the VMX - all three of them -- will run absolutely fine on a T3.Medium, and if we HAD to go overkill, for sure on the T3.xlarge (which are the two T3's available in the Local Zones)

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

Let's compare:

c5.large is 2 vcpu/4g RAM, c5.xlarge is 4 vcpu/8G RAM

Both have "up to 10gbps networking"

• Other C5 instance sizes will launch on the 2nd generation Intel Xeon Scalable Processors (Cascade Lake 8223CL) or 1st generation Intel Xeon Platinum 8000 series (Skylake 8124M) processor with a sustained all core Turbo frequency of up to 3.4GHz, and single core turbo frequency of up to 3.5 GHz.

m4.large - 2 vcpu/8g RAM

• Up to 2.4 GHz Intel Xeon Scalable Processor (Broadwell E5-2686 v4 or Haswell E5-2676 v3)

• "Moderate" Network performance

t3.medium - 2 vcpu/4g RAM, t3.xlarge - 4 vcpu/16g RAM

• Up to 3.1 GHz Intel Xeon Scalable processor (Skylake 8175M or Cascade Lake 8259CL)

• Up to 5 Gigabit Networking

Since the VMX Large is the biggest VMX, and it maxes out at 1Gbps VPN Throughput, I can't see any reason why the t3.medium wouldn't do just fine.

So... my ask... re-publish the Amazon Marketplace VMX AMI with t3.medium and t3.xlarge as additional options.  I'm HAPPY to help beta test it if y'all want. I have a 10G internet connection at my main office, and my folks with MX's and Z3's at home have a smattering of gigabit fiber, and a lot with 200+ mbps connections I'll make some noise to hammer the hell out of it!!

0 Replies 0
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.