Router or Layer3 Switch?

GFrazier
Building a reputation

Router or Layer3 Switch?

Have a client that decided to build out a location and chose their own ISP without consulting IT... The ISP is basically not really an ISP, but an Internet Access Provider (IAP), that acts as the "middle man," providing connectivity to their customers... Since the ball is already rolling on this, we are stuck with going this route.

The IAP has a cage and rack in a major data center (a few racks - 15 min from the client site) ... The IAP notified us that we will need a router and firewall of our own in the data center... I have an entire Meraki infrastructure at all the client's other locations and now have to add a router to the mix - I want to stay with Meraki to maintain a uniform environment.

The IAP service is connected to the Major ISP's switch via a their own core router...  

I was thinking a Layer 3 Switch to the IAP Core Router in the Datacenter, then house the HA pair of MX250s on client site.

Have anyone seen this particular type of setup? Any thoughts / suggestions?

2 Replies 2
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It depends what protocols they are running.  I'd say you should be able to use any device that can cope with the IP range they give the site.  Personally I'd have a dumb L2 switch on the edge to split the cable and then the MX250 WAN ports as long as you have a /29 or greater.

GFrazier
Building a reputation

That's what I had in mind too:  basically, the L2 switch in the Data Center passing the traffic to the Firewalls - housing them at the Client location... Is that what you are saying?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels