On premise MX to vMX auto VPN in GCP?

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

On premise MX to vMX auto VPN in GCP?

I am pretty sure this is fine, but it will be a first for me and I am not finding documentation to specifically confirm.

The application is that a client wants a tunnel to their GCP (Google Cloud Platform) from the premise MX and also allow client VPN into GCP.

I can just fire up (and license) a vMX in GCP, turn on auto VPN and configure some client VPN?

I know it is also possible to make a site to site VPN.  (At least, I have found some various posts where people have sorted it out, so I think I could do the same).  I just think vMX is better for visibility, management and maybe performance too?  VPN clients to premise MX and then over VPN to GCP may suffer performance? They have 1G x 1G internet and will soon have a second 1G internet so I think it will be ideal for auto VPN and should not really try to make it work with just site to site VPN (even though it saves the license cost)?

Thanks in advance for any confirmation or caveats!

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
1 Reply 1
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As far as I got you right: yes, that's completely possible. vMX and on prem MX would form an AutoVPN tunnel, whereas you'd configure RAVPN on your "regular" MX and send the remote access traffic through that tunnel.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.