NAT ware spare configuraiton sync

Qing
Getting noticed

NAT ware spare configuraiton sync

Hi, when configuring NAT ware spare, is just necessary to configure spare MX uplink ip address only? The rest configuration like VLANs and DHCP , will auto-sync from primary MX?  Please advise, thanks in advance.

Below procedure is correct?

1. connect primary MX to internet  (uplink ip same broadcast domain with internet router LAN IP)

2. login to dashboard to Configure primary MX VLANs, DHCP ..

3. connect link to downstream switch

4. enable ware spare on primary MX on dashboard, keyin spare MX serial number and set Virtual IP

5. connect link between spare MX and downstream switch

6. connect spare MX to internet (uplink ip same broadcast domain with internet router LAN IP)

7. Check spare MX status and HA status on dashboard

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Each of the two MX's just needs sufficient configuration to connect to the Internet.  They sync their config from the cloud (such sa VLANs, DHCP, etc) - not each other.

Personally, I tend to set everything up in the dashboard, and then plug in the MX's - but that is because I get the shipping notification from Meraki before I get the kit.

The procedure you have given is fine.  Looking at your steps, 1 through 6 could be done in any order and not alter the outcome.

Your procedure is correct.

Note this line in the docs:

• When first configuring NAT HA, the Spare should be added and configured in Dashboard before the device is physically deployed, so it will immediately fetch its configuration and behave appropriately.

So it's best not to mess with the order of the steps too much.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels