MX84 Ports

Solved
Gordon
Getting noticed

MX84 Ports

We are looking at ordering a pair of MX84s in the near future.  I have been reading the documentation online and I really don't see much information on the ports.  What I would like to know is the unit shows 10 -rj45 ports and two SFP+ ports.  Are all ports usable or when using the SFP ports does it disable any of the other ports.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

All ports should be usable.  Ports 1 and 2 are WAN/Internet-facing RJ45 copper ports.  Ports 3-10 are LAN-facing copper ports and Ports 11/12 are LAN-facing SFP ports.  Ports 9/11 and 10/12 should not be "combo" ports, so using port 10 doesn't lock out port 12 or vice-versa.  So you basically have all 10 LAN interfaces to use, the last 2 happen to be SFP instead of RJ45.  I just did a quick lab test on an MX84 to prove it to myself, running 2 different VLANs/subnets on ports 9 and 11 at the same time, no issues.  Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

All ports should be usable.  Ports 1 and 2 are WAN/Internet-facing RJ45 copper ports.  Ports 3-10 are LAN-facing copper ports and Ports 11/12 are LAN-facing SFP ports.  Ports 9/11 and 10/12 should not be "combo" ports, so using port 10 doesn't lock out port 12 or vice-versa.  So you basically have all 10 LAN interfaces to use, the last 2 happen to be SFP instead of RJ45.  I just did a quick lab test on an MX84 to prove it to myself, running 2 different VLANs/subnets on ports 9 and 11 at the same time, no issues.  Hope that helps!

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi Gordon,

Just as a point of clarification, the MX84 only has SFP ports, not SFP+. They are only 1Gbps capable and not 10Gbps. 

I'd hate for you to order the wrong SFP modules if you thought they were SFP+.

Jason

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels