Is there a gigabit MX on the roadmap for the little people?

NetSapper
Conversationalist

Is there a gigabit MX on the roadmap for the little people?

I see a lot of posts how the community is dissatisfied with the throughput caps on the MX-6x models and I am also one of those with an opinion.

I want to know if there is an option for SOHO customers that will support a gigabit WAN/internet interface?  Gigabit internet is cheap and readily available but my MX-65 is limited at a meager 250Mb.  I, many of my customers, and all those friends and family I have turned on to Meraki are happy with the product and love the ease of management but this massive loss of bandwidth is very discouraging.  I want to upgrade and share that experience but even the 67 and 68s don't break 500Mb.

Upgrading to a 250 or a 450 just isn't a good suggestion; it's certainly not economical, especially in today's landscape.

I hate the idea of trashing Meraki gear to buy something from Staples but why should there be no choice between a quality security appliance and paying so much?

4 REPLIES 4
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @NetSapper , I’m afraid you’re stranded like a lot of Meraki customers with the current hardware limitations. Nothing has been mentioned on a roadmap for a soho 1gbps MX.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Are there any explanations as to why Meraki is finding this difficult?

Since other manufacturers are able to provide gigabit functionality in consumer-grade hardware at a much lower price point than Meraki, my assumption is that the issue has something to do with the massive amounts of monitoring and analysis that Meraki does on data passing through the MX.

While I enjoy the detailed analysis our MX250 gives us for our branch office, it's not needed for our employees who need site VPN connectivity at home.  And while we can, and have, set up split VPN routing (where the MX is only providing VPN connectivity and internet passes through a different router) this is far from ideal. 

If there were an option to convert a lower level MX to have gigabit throughput at the cost of losing some of the advanced metrics and protections, it would be useful for my team – if for no other reason than to have an affordable single-router solution for work-at-home installations.

Hi @JaredFowkes 

I wouldn’t say they were finding it difficult it’s just probably not been on their radar as home working isn’t their core focus.  That is until Covid has caught them with their pants down slightly.

yes we all have bigger pipes into our home offices but we weren’t all working from home solidly until a few months ago.

Meraki will catch up and I’m sure they’ll release an awesome soho device.  And if they don’t....the market will punish them and go elsewhere.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Yup, I would love to see a new MX... Maybe santa is coming early for the PVT event 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels