Experience running 16.4

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Experience running 16.4

I've been running 16.4 on an MX65 for two weeks.  The MX is used I'm my home office and connects as a spoke to our two DCs where the MXs are set up as hubs.  The other MXs all run 15.42 and are stable with no real issues and only the odd alert that doesn't impact user experience.

Yesterday the MX65 dropped the VPN connection to the primary data centre and though the connection to the DR data centre was up, all corporate resources were unavailable.  A soft reboot today fixed it for 15 minutes but then it failed in the same way.  Removing the secondary DC didn't help so I ended up downgrading it to 15.42 and it was stable for the rest of the day.

Anyone else had any issues with the SD-WAN functionality when mixing 16.4 with earlier release trains?

13 REPLIES 13
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've only got one customer running one spoke on 16.4 at the moment using SD-WAN.  No issues so far ... but not a very big sample size.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth how many hubs does the 16.4 spoke talk to, I'd configured two and it seemed to get stuck when it dropped the connection to the primary and sort of failed over to the secondary but never quite made it.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Charles @cmr , any issues with the MX losing its IP when upgrading to 16.4? Is your device statically assigned or running DHCP?

I’ve heard of a device that’s been statically assigned losing its IP and switching over to DHCP after the upgrade.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DarrenOC the device I upgraded has DHCP for the WAN so can't comment on that potential issue, sorry.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>how many hubs does the 16.4 spoke talk to

THis network has 6 nodes in a full mush configuration (all sites are hubs).

I'm using 16.4 since it came out on a MX67W. I've only configured 3th party VPN connections here, but the connections are stable.
So no error here

Edit: The 16.4 has some problems with Meraki Insight. They are working on it already.

OVERKILL
Building a reputation

I had 16.3 and now 16.4 since its release on a hub with 5 spokes, no issues to speak of related to standard VPN operation. All of the Meraki spokes are running stable releases (14.53), one of the others is a Sonicwall and another is IOS. 

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

16.4 has been solid regarding SD-WAN (lab environment currently) and rock solid with its VPN tunnel to Umbrella.

RobertDick
Conversationalist

We have MX84, MX64 and MX64W all running 16.4 for past two weeks or so.  We are seeing some very weird traffic blocking issues across the site to site VPN's since the upgrade.  "Random" blocking of RDP connections which is bizarre.  Opening ticket with Meraki as we can't run like this, definitely considering a rollback.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RobertDick I was having some issues with 16.4 so rolled back, but so far 16.5 is behaving without issues 🤞

RobertDick
Conversationalist

@cmr thanks for the note.  I am getting set up for Meraki support to go have a dig.  Really frustrating at this point.

RobertDick
Conversationalist

@cmr I should actually be a bit more accurate in my problem description.  We can RDP across the VPN, we are having problems with RemoteApp connections across the VPN for published apps.  And only for some users not necessarily all, which is making me pull out (remaining) hair.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@RobertDick I had an issue where the connection to the primary hub kept dropping and the connection to the backup didn't properly take over.  Some of the time...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels