Best practice on frequent VPN clients

JonP
Getting noticed

Best practice on frequent VPN clients

Hello all,

Hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

I have a question about frequent VPN clients. In our setup we have 3 or 4 remote servers who need to connect into our VPN to drop a file into our order management system.

What is the best practice for doing this? We are currently using the client VPN method, but I'm wondering if this might be causing some of the other issues we have been seeing with internet drop outs. Is it better to use site to site VPN, or some other method?

6 Replies 6
OVERKILL
Building a reputation

Should definitely not be causing drops. How frequent are we talking here? It sounds like it is frequent enough that you've considered site-to-site, what's securing those other sites presently? 

JonP
Getting noticed

We're talking a cron job which runs every few minutes. I think the timers are set at 10 minutes each and there's 3 of them that run.

The other site is secured by a firewall but it's not Meraki.

OVERKILL
Building a reputation

Then yes, a site-to-site sounds more practical here. 

JonP
Getting noticed

Thank you for the reply.

I don't think this is directly causing our internet drops, but I do see how it could contribute to an overload situation if we've got 3 connections coming in every couple of minutes. 

I will investigate options for a site-to-site VPN and see if that improves our stability.

OVERKILL
Building a reputation

As long as you have access to both pieces of equipment, it's pretty easy to setup. I've got a couple different pieces of hardware with a VPN tunnel landing on an MX84, one is a Sonicwall, the other is an ISR and the setup was very straight-forward. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd be using a site to site VPN.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels