Best Practice: MX Firewall with MR Layer 3 Switches

SOLVED
detinater
Here to help

Best Practice: MX Firewall with MR Layer 3 Switches

I've found varying information on what the best practice is for setting up a failover pair of MX100s with a core stack of MR350 switches. Does anyone have a diagram or information on this? We have 10 VLANs, obviously want to take advantage of inter-vlan routing via the MR switch and not the FW. I'm more interested in how you setup the connection between the FW and the MR Stack, is this the same as my current Cisco 3850 setup where the MX has all the VLANs entered but you forward all the traffic over to the FW on a single VLAN or can you enter the FW at the next hop for all respective VLANs on the switch and the FW sorts out the traffic? 

Like I said, I've found some Meraki documentation on using non-meraki layer 3 switches, but I haven't found anything on using a Meraki layer 3 switch, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Its exactly the same.
akan33
Building a reputation

one of them main benefits of having the VLAN gateway in the MX firewall is that you can integrate it with an AD and do security policies integration. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You should check out the Meraki Campus Deployment Guide.

https://meraki.cisco.com/lib/pdf/meraki_campus_deployment_guide.pdf

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels