BGP Peering with vMX in AWS

SOLVED
PatrickBB
Getting noticed

BGP Peering with vMX in AWS

There was another post about BGP with the MX that briefly talked about a cloud deployment.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/BGP-Configuration-on-MX/td-p/28710

We have 2 physical data centers that we are decommissioning and moving everything into AWS.  In both of those we have BGP peering enable and working great.

We have spun up 2 vMXs in AWS.  I am about to enable those as VPN Hubs this evening, but I am concerned that they will not route correctly.

I have been looking for documentation about how to do BGP peering in AWS.  The only documentation I have been able to find pertaining to BGP in AWS deals with Direct Connects, which is not what I need.

Has anyone gotten the vMX to work in AWS as a One Armed Concentrator for VPN termination using BGP? 

If not using BGP, how did you deploy it so that it would route traffic to the internal networks, but still be accessible from the outside?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After weighing options like spinning up a csr1000v and other things, we decided to implement an ASAv firewall in AWS.  This could be done with PaloAlto and other devices.  This gets us around the need to do BGP peering as we have done in other traditional data centers.  This should satisfy the routing issue by having a single default route from the vMX to the firewall and the firewall with a default route to the Internet and routes to our internal AWS resources.  We also have an ASAv that is used for RA-VPN in AWS so putting both the vMX and the RA-VPN ASAv into a DMZ made a bit more sense for us.  This provides an additional layer of security outside of what we may have configured with the AWS Security Groups. 

Below is a basic diagram for anyone else looking for a deployment solution for vMX in AWS.

PatrickBB_0-1613493518267.png

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
PatrickBB
Getting noticed

Meraki Support hasn't been much help either.  All they have done is directed me to the BGP configuration guide.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/BGP

The AWS deployment guide also does not contain information about routing other than adding the AutoVPN subnets to the VPC route table.  That appears to be more of a static routing configuration.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/vMX_Setup_Guide_for_Amazon_Web_Services_(...

The issue with that is we are in a transition between physical data centers and cloud.  I need the subnets that are used by our office or Z3s to be advertised from the MX or vMX that they are connected to.  Adding a blanket static route to a VPC would seem to break dynamic routing.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @PatrickBB , are you able to reach out to your Meraki AM to engage with an SE for this requirement?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Thanks for the reply UCcert.  I just sent am email to my account manager requesting the assistance of an SE.  

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Good luck with the project.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

BGP is not supported on the VMX (at least, none of the VMXs I have access to show the BGP menu options).

Additionally, even if the VMX can do BGP, you can't do BGP to AWS inside of a VPC.  You have to do something more complicated like run a GRE tunnel over IPSec to an AWS VPN gateway, and then run BGP over that.

In the past when needing to do HA with VMXs in AWS with static routing I have used a Lambda script to detect failure and swap our the routing.  It's complicated.  I created some instructions on how to do this.

https://www.ifm.net.nz/cookbooks/meraki-ha-vmx-amazon-aws.html 

However, since I did my last one, there is now an AWS Gateway Loadbalancer service, and this is probably going to be a better way of doing it.

Hi Philip,

I was hoping you would show up here.  

This is not a saved configuration, but when I set this vMX to Hub, I have the option to enable and configure BGP.  I have not saved this to know if it will take.  I will be doing that in a change window tonight.

PatrickBB_0-1611867280192.png

My plan was to keep this as simple as possible.  I read your article about HA and the use of Lambda script.  We are opting to do this as if they are 2 different hubs.  They are both in the same AWS VPC, but in 2 different AZs.  The idea is to configure the MX and Z3 to have both hubs listed like a primary and standby hub.  We do that today with MX100s in 2 different data centers.

Even if you can enable BGP on the VMX (which looks like you can) there is no way you can BGP with AWS inside of the VPC.  Amazon AWS doesn't offer this as an option.

One option I have often thought about but never done was to write a script to grab the routeing table from each VMX, and then add/remove/update static routes in the VPC.  Then just run the script every minute as a Lambda script.

It would be like dynamic routing then.

Another idea we have been discussing is spinning up a Cisco CSR1000v inside the same VPC and BGP peering off of that.  

I was looking for more of an AWS native solution instead of adding virtual routers into the mix.  I saw that AWS has BGP for Direct Connects, but haven't found any other document that states where else in AWS BGP is supported.

AWS supports BGP for DirectConnect and over VPN tunnels.  Nowhere else.

You can spin up a CSR1000v.  You'll need a VPN licence for it.  You would need to BGP peer with it (from the VMX), and then have it build a VPN to the VPC, and then run BGP over the VPN to the VPC.

Typically, people deploy a "transit vpc" when doing this.  The VMXs and CSR1000Vs would go into this.  Your current VPC would become a spoke of the transit VPC.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/solutions/latest/cisco-based-transit-vpc/architecture.html 

I would guess that the cost of running the CSR1000Vs in Amazon plus their purchase cost for three months would cover the cost of writing a Lambda script to dynamically update the routing tables, and be tremendously less complex ...

Scratch the script idea.  I just checked the API and you can only retrieve static routes, not the current dynamic routing table.

So you would have to do something much more complicated like run Zebra on Linux (Zebra is a very popular BGP routing engine), have the VMX peer with it, and then run a script on that box to dynamically update the AWS route tables from there.

After weighing options like spinning up a csr1000v and other things, we decided to implement an ASAv firewall in AWS.  This could be done with PaloAlto and other devices.  This gets us around the need to do BGP peering as we have done in other traditional data centers.  This should satisfy the routing issue by having a single default route from the vMX to the firewall and the firewall with a default route to the Internet and routes to our internal AWS resources.  We also have an ASAv that is used for RA-VPN in AWS so putting both the vMX and the RA-VPN ASAv into a DMZ made a bit more sense for us.  This provides an additional layer of security outside of what we may have configured with the AWS Security Groups. 

Below is a basic diagram for anyone else looking for a deployment solution for vMX in AWS.

PatrickBB_0-1613493518267.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.