The Camera HLS lag is causing many complaints

ITbeastmode
Conversationalist

The Camera HLS lag is causing many complaints

Does anyone know if Meraki plans on offering a faster local feed?  We replaced 10yr old camera/DVR system and MV feed is so slow people want the old stuff back.  5-10 seconds is too slow, we need 1-3 seconds or we're going to have to go back Axis.  HLS is great for the cloud proxy and remote stuff, but local feeds for security and reception have to be faster.  Hopefully Meraki will address this.  I've heard there is another player with much less lag.

Thanks

7 Replies 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have had this same complaint, many times.

The problem is Meraki uses Apple's HLS protocol.  I may have the exact specifics wrong, but my recollection is that start it starts sending the video in 2s bursts, and the player can't start playing until it has three 2s bursts.  As a result, there is a 6s barrier straight away that can't be improved upon.  Then on top of this add network and processing delay.

I have gotten it down to a 7s lag, but have not managed to get it any better than that.

Now forgetting Meraki for the moment; I have heard talk of Apple trying to make a version of HLS with a faster start time.  But even if this is done you will have to wait for both Meraki and your favourite browser vendor to update both of their ends before you can take advantage of it.

I wish Meraki would support something like RTSP, but I guess there is some complication with doing this.

Hmm I just tested my single camera (in a testing phase) and it loaded in less than 2 seconds across a different subnet. 

Which OS and browser was that on @BlakeRichardson ?

OS X 10.13.6 and Safari version 12.1

Hello Blake

thanks for the reply, we're not having a problem with the load speed, it's almost instant, we've found the Meraki dashboard to be very quick.  The problem is the feed lag vs real-time - this is fine for recording, but for reception areas and security zones, it just doesn't work.  5-10 seconds is a long time in the security world, particularly when you're "buzzing" people in, activating biometrics, etc - there are worse scenarios you can think of obviously as well.  

Also, I've done some more research and talked to Meraki, 5-10 seconds "is what it is".
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.