Storing Footage

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Storing Footage

Hi All,

This is more of a home project. Currently, I use Zmodo, in summary they are disappointing and I have been thinking of a new camera system for a few months. Currently between Meraki and Ubiquiti. I am curious, can I store continuous 27 hour footage? There are lots of factors, but I know Ubiquiti would fit right in nicely because they are my networking equipment provider, but I am not opposed to giving a Meraki camera a test.

Thanks!

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This FAQ will probably help answer your questions:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Other_Topics/MV_Security_Camera_FAQ

This is the bit for you:

"MV21 and MV71 offer 128GB of solid state storage allowing for up to 20 days of continuous, 24/7 recording."

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Even if you enable motion based retention (which you probably would want to), you always have 72 hours of footage available. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Video_Quality_and_Retention/Motion-based_Retention

MRCUR | CMNO #12
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Thanks. I think I am going to use Ubiquiti for my outdoor and maybe one Meraki dome indoors.

While I would love to do 100% Meraki, at the per camera price, I can by 6+ ubiquti that are similarly configured.

Thanks for your insights.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Just make sure you're not paying retail for the Meraki gear!

MRCUR | CMNO #12
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I am not. I actually picked up an MR33 AP, new, on eBay for $150.00. S, it is either going to be lab gear or be sold. I just installed Ubiquiti switches, APs and I am not sure a Meraki AP would get along with my equipment.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Make sure you try adding the MR33 to an organisation straight away while you are still in contact with the eBay seller.

You can always remove it again once tested.  You wont be able to add it unless the seller has removed it from their organisation.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

It is brand new but has no license. 

Understand your point that the Meraki cameras are more expensive, but consider that there's no NVR, no special software, no appliances, no plugins or controls or hassle, no training.  It's just a camera and a license and you're done.  It's pretty much anywhere, anytime, using any browser on any device and you've got your video, plus with all the goodness and simplicity of Meraki Dashboard. 

We all use Dashboard every day and take it for granted and don't actively think about it.  Dashboard delivers an easier, seamless full stack experience, by default.  It doesn't take any work to get all the benefits of the Dashboard.  It adds up to real dollars in troubleshooting time, network management time savings, and makes things very simple, yet very powerful and secure.  And it's getting smarter all the time.  And it brings the physical security system into the same single pane of glass as the rest of your full stack, which includes self-maintaining spreadsheets for your entire inventory, licensing, change logs, administrator access and camera admin RBAC, etc.  

Ok, Dashboard commercial's over.  🙂  Maybe consider the entry level MV12WE, lower list price and half the storage, but certainly still in the 14 to 20+ day range even with continuous recording.  With MBR it could be months depending on how much motion the camera is seeing on a regular basis.  Plus you'll get things like audio, wireless, and all the cool analytics, motion heat maps, person detection, people counting, and others yet to be developed.  

MV12 no optical zoom unlike MV21.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.