cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PTZ?

Conversationalist

PTZ?

When might we see a competitive pan tilt zoom camera from Meraki? 

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
Getting noticed

Re: PTZ?

YES!!!!  We just got a couple in to demo... VERY disappointing

Here to help

No Pan Tilt but you get the Zoom Smiley Tongue Also no speaker / mic and Wifi option. Also no cloud storage.  I will stay with other DVR / Arlo Or Nest solution until Meraki wakes up.

Here to help

It is something that they are looking to do, I have spoken to a few people at Meraki on this option as had a few requests from some customers who just want a single camera with several areas to be monitored.   When I spoke to Meraki they said that it happen but they dont kow to what effect the PTZ would be deployed and would more than likely be a preprogrammed PTZ on set areas rather than a live PTZ function where you can move the camera when and where you want. - but you never know what they may come up with.

Meraki Employee

Based on collective market research from Meraki and Gartner, there just isn't a whole lot of demand in the marketplace for Pan/Tilt in the majority of camera deployments. The reason here is aside from a handful of select industries, most organizations do not have a dedicated employee watching cameras and following movements. We have found that we can overcome the absence of Pan/Tilt with a more deliberate camera placement to properly cover all areas without movement.

Here to help

I agree you don't need Pan and tilt  if you have a high quality / high resolution ultra wide lens that will  record everything. I still suggest a mic and speaker / WiFI + Cloud storage option. If I'm a thief ( which i'm not Smiley Very Happy ) all i need to do is to steal the camera and you have no video proof anymore since everything is stored locally on the camera it self.

Highlighted
New here

Hi CJ_Ramsey,

While that market research may be generally correct I do not think that it takes into account the expectations of a "cloud-managed" product. I'd like to be able to have a camera shipped to a client destination, have anyone do the installation and do 100% of the setup remotely. 

Presently, we still need to manually take off the lense, adjust the camera angle, check the angle, adjust again, and so forth until the correct angle is found. This really is sub-par experience for the price point the MV series cameras are in. Expectations from the MV cameras:

1. Pan tilt and zoom = 100% remote setup (besides having mount & installer plug it in).
  2. A microphone.
  3. Customizable email notifications based on motion events. 

I'd also like to see more options with greater storage. If I can get 256GB of flash storage and a 4K camera in my iPhone, why can't I get at least similar specs (or much better) in an MV camera. I'd like to see Meraki raise the industry's bar in both data storage and video quality.

Getting noticed

Here is my take on the MV and PTZ, take this with a grain of salt, my logic here could be totally flawed.  I do not see Meraki releasing a traditional PTZ option, here is why. 

Merkai has consistently been the type of company to not do what everyone else is doing, but to disrupt the market with products and technologies that are superior in addressing specific needs.  I imagine the Meraki team is looking at this more from 30,000 ft and trying to understand what specific needs are driving the demand for PTZ, multi lens, 360, fish eye, etc, and then they will Merakify it.  I would imagine there will be an awesome single sensor product kicking around R&D at Meraki HQ that will help address the demand for PTZ, 360, and multi-lens.

Ryan