Motion Detection Trigger

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Motion Detection Trigger

Hey guys,

Messing around with an MV12W and when I go to analytics to see the 'bars' of activity, when I click on them, I see no people.

So I stared at the screen, and noticed the A/C vent ever so slightly moving open/close. This is triggering the motion for my analytics portion.

I don't want it to obviously, as its on the ceiling and I only care about people coming through the door.

So I went to settings>motion alerts, and setup a 'zone' that excluded the ceiling in the video.

I"m still seeing the A/C vent triggering analytic motion detection.

I 'could' use the privacy windows, and I think that would do the trick, but that just seems silly to me that I would have to do that.

Isn't there a way to 'ignore' the ceiling while still showing it?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
9 REPLIES 9
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

What about changing the size of the AOI? IF you make the box smaller to avoid the vent?

Enthusiast

Area of Interest under Motion Alerts is set small to avoid the ceiling and A/C vents completely.

I have a feeling maybe that setting only applies to email alerts? (which I don't use).

I just want to be able to look at analytics and click on the blue bars for movement to see what happened when etc. blue bars for A/C vent opening/closing = lame sauce 😃
TwitterLinkedIn

@NolanHerring #sigh lol. You may be right but hey maybe a firmware upgrade will fix that issue in the following releases.

Enthusiast

Privacy window is probably the best workaround. Seems a bit silly, but the only other option would be to point the camera away a bit which may or may not be even more silly depending on the situation.

I wonder if the motion search 2.0 algorithm will also be used for this functionality and if it would improve this behavior.

Guess I'll just have to use the black privacy window for now.

Seems silly I guess. My $100 dollar ARLO camera at home can do this but not the Meraki camera =(
TwitterLinkedIn
Priesty
Building a reputation

Hence why motion search 2.0 is coming out, its going to make the analytics alot more accurate,

GeorgeB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

From your description it sounds like your confusing two camera detection mechanisms. The blue bars under the analytics page are only generated from people detection data, not motion. The heat map below this is generated from motion, not people detection data.

If you are seeing blue bars representing people it maybe the model is detection something as a person which is not a person. In this case click the blue bar to go to the video at that time and make sure  the "Show People" button is active. If you see a yellow box around something that is not a person then this is a bad detection and we can train that behavior out of the model if we are given a sample clip (<60 seconds in length) with no other people in.

All analytics for all types (people & data) is computed for the entire scene always. When you want it search for a motion event, draw the smallest selection you can that meets your target area to get the results returned. Motion Alert zones only impacts e-mail alerts based off motion in a zone.

@GeorgeB wrote:

If you are seeing blue bars representing people it maybe the model is detection something as a person which is not a person. In this case click the blue bar to go to the video at that time and make sure  the "Show People" button is active. If you see a yellow box around something that is not a person then this is a bad detection and we can train that behavior out of the model if we are given a sample clip (<60 seconds in length) with no other people in.

Thank you for clarifying how this works @GeorgeB  😃

I think I just figured out what has been happening.

This weekend, I saw 3 blue bars at like midnight. Its a storage room with snacks etc.

Clicked on the blue bar as I've done before, and after about a minute, someone walked in to grab a snack (late night team).

So I think I've just been too impatient, thinking that when I click the blue bar I'll see something, when in fact there has been something, I just have to wait a full minute or so until it shows up.

I just kept thinking it was the A/C vent because nothing would happen after I clicked it, waited for 30 seconds, so just assumed it was an issue.

@GeorgeB wrote:

All analytics for all types (people & data) is computed for the entire scene always. When you want ti search for a motion event, draw the smallest selection you can that meets your target area to get the results returned. Motion Alert zones only impacts e-mail alerts based of motion in a zone.

This makes more sense now, so the zone alerts aren't really do me any favors since I don't use the email alerting anyhow.

TwitterLinkedIn

So I think I've just been too impatient, thinking that when I click the blue bar I'll see something, when in fact there has been something, I just have to wait a full minute or so until it shows up.

The way the indexing of the video files and people detector meta data works means there could be offset from the actual event by +/- 30 seconds.  A little patients normally pays off 🙂 Alternatively just press number 2 or number 3 on your keyboard to watch the playback sped up.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.