Camera appears black and white - any one experienced this ?

SOLVED
ammahend
Getting noticed

Camera appears black and white - any one experienced this ?

Screenshot.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The cameras switch to a B&W mode in low light (night mode). The same way your eyes do 😉

Camnight.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

The cameras switch to a B&W mode in low light (night mode). The same way your eyes do 😉

Camnight.PNG

Adam
Kind of a big deal

I agree with @jdsilva

When the light is on in the room it'll likely switch back to color.  

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
GeorgeB
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The camera detects scene light levels using a dedicated sensor. This sensor detects ambient light levels or light directly falling on the camera. You can see two different scenarios of this not working as you would expect.

• Camera is in night mode yet it is day time (example in this post).
    • Light levels reaching the sensor fall below the level required for night mode activation. Night mode is activated and the camera removes the IR cut filter and switches to B&W.
  • Camera is in day move yet it is night time.
    • Light levels reaching the sensor are above the level required for night mode activation. This can happen when the camera is mounted very close to an outside light fitting. The light from the exterior light makes the camera believe the scene is bright enough when it is actually dark.

Adjusting the thresholds or manual fixing night mode transitions will fix both these scenarios

I have this same issue but have messed with the night mode settings and even disabled night mode and still getting black and white during the day. the camera is a MV21 with Firmware 3.30

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.