Network Monitoring Tools to troubleshoot outages/slowdowns

KevinW
Here to help

Network Monitoring Tools to troubleshoot outages/slowdowns

Hello,

Looking for some advice/guidance.  Have taken over a small wifi network for office, configured as follows:  Model GS110-24 network switch with 3 Meraki Go GR10 WAPs connected.  Two wifi networks broadcasted from each WAP.

We've experienced some random, spotty performance (general slowdowns, downloads taking 10-20 seconds to start...) as well as the network dropping completely now and again.  Doesn't *seem* to be related to one particular wifi network, nor does it seem related to any building wide issues as it's isolated just to our offices.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting? (haven't had much of a chance to do much as of yet).  Also any recommendations on network monitoring tools that might help me track poor performance/outages, and hopefully isolate the cause (as well as just general ongoing network monitoring)?

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
speakerfritz
A model citizen

how did things work out?

My experience has been drops and slow downs is ISP related.  turn on hardware notifcations to be notifed when your hardware is unreachable.  if you then try to remotely connect to your devices and you cant get to your gateway then its most likely and ISP drop.

if you think the slowdown is on the network . review clients.  how many are there?   review the high usage devices to see what they are doing?  limit badwidth if neccesary.

also, check the total number of devices vs the band they operate on .   if you have a lot of utility type devices on 2.5ghz might be useful to seperate their traffic from users on 5ghz.  if you have a lot of video cameras pointing at exits...they will flood the network with cloud uploads and lan device storage at employee clock in times, luch in and out, and end of day departures.

KevinW
Here to help

Upon further investigate I suspect I don't have network issues, but what is happening is my connections are dropping and switching between several different networks.  Will be opening another thread for advice on proper setup.  Thank you!