What is the oldest pieces of computer equipment you still use

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What is the oldest pieces of computer equipment you still use

This is based off @GaryShainberg and his post about his WAP. I thought this would be a bit of fun. I will have to have a look to work out what mine would be.

5 REPLIES 5
CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I bet @MichelRueger has some contributions to make to this thread, based on his entry from a community challenge a couple months back: https://community.meraki.com/t5/Community-Announcements/Share-your-nostalgic-networking-stories-Win-...

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here
mmmmmmark
Building a reputation

I have an APC Smart-UPS 1500 RM UPS that is still on the original batteries from April 2, 2005. It's been running steady the last 13 years. Now watch the batteries go on me. I did have an hour long power outage last week and the UPS lasted about 32 minutes.

I moved some stuff off of it so now it's forecasting 46 minutes of runtime. It protects my ISP's modem, MX64, MS-220, 3 PoE access points (1 MR18 and 2 TP-Link ones), a Cisco VoIP box and a little ALIX computer that controls the UPS and gives me SSH access from outside.

cta102
Building a reputation

If it's stuff that I actually use, these two are used as glorified calculators as I wrote a few things for them in the 80s to assist when I was doing a lot of assembly language coding.

As I wrote a new custom tape routine for the 35th anniversary version of a friends 'hit game' they were once again pulled into service (happens every time I do a bit of retro coding.)

If you don't know what a tape loader is then ask an elderly relative about when it took games 8 plus minutes to load from tape.

Ti Co Co 40.jpgSharp PC 1360.jpg

GaryShainberg
Building a reputation

Ok, so the oldest bit of kit I still use is either a Meraki Mini from 2007 but I also have a working Mac+, however,

I used to work for a major Telco in the UK and as part of a project we installed a Cisco router and a Sun Spark station on an 30mb internet connection in a major exhibition site comms room, we it was forgotten and last year by accident they where discovered and they both had an uptime of .............. 5400 days, almost 15 years.

We where astounded that there had not even been a power outage. The only reason it was discovered was the internet service was being closed down as EoL but they could see traffic on the connection so had to be traced before there would cease the circuit.
CTO & Solutioneer
CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2
SNSA, SNSP
~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~

Just yesterday we signed off on a purchase to move off our multiple ERP systems onto Dynamics.

But until we get that setup, a few hundred people are still using ManMan which is running on an HP3000 that has been in use in our offices since 1978.

Still going strong.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.