Totally off topic and from another industry, but very relevant to many of us
"admins I hope this is OK"
A customer asked me how much it cost to do this job....
I answered him: £1500
He said: So expensive for this job?
I asked: How much do you think it would cost you?
He answers me: £800 maximum... That's a pretty simple job right? !"
- For £800 I invite you to do it yourself.
- But.... I don't know how to.
- For £800 I'll teach you how to. So besides saving you $700, you'll get the knowledge for the next time you want
- It seemed right to him and he agreed.
- But to get started: you need tools: A Camera, lenses, memory cards, Strong computer for the 4k footage you want, tripod, drone for high shots you want, etc...
- But I don't have all these equipment and I can't buy all of these for one job.
- Well then for another £400 more I'll rent my stuff to you so you can do it.
- Okay, he says.
- Okay! Tuesday I'm waiting for you to start doing this work
- But I can't on Tuesday I only have time today.
- I'm sorry, but I'm only available Tuesday to teach you and lend you my stuff. Other days are busy with other customers.
- Okay! That means I'm going to have to sacrifice my Tuesday, give up my tasks.
- I forgot. To do your job yourself, you also have to pay for the nonproductive factors.
- That is? What is this?"
- Bureaucratic, tax, vat, security, insurance, fuel etc.
- Oh no!... But to accomplish these tasks, I'm going to spend more money and waste a lot of time!
- Do you have them? You can do it to me before?"
- I'll set up and expose all you need. Pre shoot (getting gear ready, charging batteries and getting memory cards cleared and formatted) is done Monday evening and Tuesday morning you'll have to come by 6 loading the truck. Don't forget to be on time to avoid traffic jams and be on time
- At 6??? Nope! Too early for me! I used to getting up later.
- You know, I've been thinking. Y ' all better get the job done. I'd rather pay you the £1500. If I had to, it wouldn't be perfect and it would cost me a lot more.
When you pay for a job, especially handcrafted, you pay not only for the material used, but also:
- Time to go
- Safety and security
- Payment of tax obligations
No one can denigrate other people's work by judging prices.
Only by knowing all the elements necessary for the production of a certain work can you estimate the actual cost.
I did not write this dialogue, but am sharing it to support our industry.
CTO & Solutioneer CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2 SNSA, SNSP ~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~