Introducing the Meraki Unboxed podcast

merakisimon
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Introducing the Meraki Unboxed podcast

Please excuse the shameless plug, but I'm excited to share news of our brand new podcast. We hope to evolve this to become an enjoyable listen for our community, and since you're a part of that community, please don't be shy about sharing your feedback and thoughts on what you'd like to hear us talk about on the show.

Thanks for checking it out 🙂

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2019/05/meraki-unboxed-and-in-your-pocket/

meraki-unboxed-cover-1400-itunes.jpg

21 REPLIES 21
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

That's cool. Hopefully you'll have some very good topics offered from the community.

@merakisimon wrote:

Please excuse the shameless plug, but I'm excited to share news of our brand new podcast. We hope to evolve this to become an enjoyable listen for our community, and since you're a part of that community, please don't be shy about sharing your feedback and thoughts on what you'd like to hear us talk about on the show.

Thanks for checking it out 🙂

https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2019/05/meraki-unboxed-and-in-your-pocket/

meraki-unboxed-cover-1400-itunes.jpg

Enthusiast

Aha. That's great, I spend a lot of time driving to and from work and I love podcasts!

Thanks Simon.

I'm trying to access it via Google Play (using the supplied link) from New Zealand and it doesn't show up.  Have you geo-restricted the podcast?

If I search for "Meraki Unboxed" in Google Play it doesn't show up either.

merakisimon
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hey Philip. Thanks for the feedback. Google Play was the last service I signed the podcast up for, and it's certainly live here in the US. I know Google often staggers deployment to their servers around the world, so it could just be a matter of waiting a little longer. Sorry about this. You might also like to try the RSS link in the blog post. I found that worked in Pocketcasts on Android. Thanks for your interest, and patience 🙂

I just found the problem. 

https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/6343833?hl=en

"Podcasts are currently available in the US and Canada."

merakisimon
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Doh! OK I hadn't noticed that. RSS is the way to go then. I'll tweak the blog post accordingly, thanks!

I just enjoyed the listen. Great podcast.

Few questions/remarks from my side:

• I loved how you touched all aspects of the new technology in a short timespan! The audio quality was good as well.
  • The explanation of the difference between MU-MIMO and OFDMA wasn't really clear for me. I believe Jeevan mentioned that OFDMA is based on frequency devision, so splitting up the 20 MHz channels into smaller chunks. And MU-MIMO is time division, but I was under the impression that that's not really the case, it's rather a case of having multiple physical senders and receivers and leveraging those to allow simultaneous usage via more complex signal processing?
  • Also aspects of the backwards compatibility question was left a bit open for me. While it's to be expected that the multiple spatial streams 8x8:8 can be leveraged by older clients I was left wondering whether the OFDMA splitting up of frequencies allows let's say some IOT devices and other WiFi clients with let's say ac wave 1 chips to communicate at the same time.

Thanks for the podcast, looking forward to the next one!

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @Ben read on this and was very informative.

@Ben wrote:

@BrechtSchamp   perhaps this article can help regards to MU-MIMO and OFDMA 

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3366216/what-s-the-difference-between-ofdma-and-mu-mimo-in-11ax...

Enthusiast
merakisimon
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Really appreciate this feedback, thanks Brecht! You're correct about OFDMA and MU-MIMO, so sorry if that wasn't clear in the show. Regarding backwards compatibility, of the cool things about Wi-Fi 6 is the way it allows newer clients to complete their data exchanges more quickly, so they're using up less air-time, allowing older clients more access time to transmit/receive. It's an indirect benefit, but still a nice one since I have no plans to buy a new smartphone this year 🙂

Thanks for the feedback Simon!

Edit: And thanks for the link @Ben 

@PhilipDAth 

I am in the US and found it in Play Music and subscribed. You might want to try the Google Podcast app since it seems like Play Music is getting fewer updates and Google is planning on replacing it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.podcasts&hl=en_US

If that doesn't work you can try a different podcast app like Podcast Addict which I have used before.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bambuna.podcastaddict&hl=en_US

Thanks for the tpi @SoCalRacer .  I downloaded the "Google Podcast" app and I can now stream the Meraki Unboxed podcast.  Interestingly enough - it wont download - I can only stream.

Try PodcastAddict. I use that and it downloads fine (in Europe).

Subscribed.  Big Podcast listener here. I can recommend Pocket Casts as a good podcast app.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

@merakisimon Enjoyed the show, can't wait for the next one.! What is the release plan for this podcast? Weekly, Monthly, as needed?

merakisimon
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Thanks! I'm targeting twice a month to begin with. Seems realistic from our end. The next episode (officially episode 1) will be going up around the middle of next week (probably the 22nd).

If there's demand for more I'll have to see what I can do 🙂

It was interesting to hear that everything in the house is being connected . . .

But still not STBs that are based upon (Multicast) IGMP-Proxies. This is fast becoming an ubiquitous delivery mechanism but not on Meraki.

The isn't a newly noticed shortcoming, it has been known about for some time. I would suggest that Meraki take a less US-centric approach to prioritising this requirement. Not much requires to be done, its in Debian, so, as a Meerkat might say, "simples".

home[2].jpg

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
drgnslyr
Getting noticed

Subscribed! look forward to my drive home to check it out.
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Looks like a new episode available, excited to hear on my commute.

@SoCalRacer wrote:

Looks like a new episode available, excited to hear on my commute.

+1

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.