What if a device with a Per-Deveice License is broken?

SOLVED
Roskaju
Here to help

What if a device with a Per-Deveice License is broken?

Hello everyone. Hope you are all doing well!

I have a question regarding the Per-Device Licensing of Meraki devices.

Say I have 5 devices and only 3 of them has a license which has a license model of Per-Device Licensing.

If one of the 3 licensed devices gets broken or suddenly stops functioning and rendered unusable,  will I be able to replace it with one of my 2 devices that are not licensed? Like, can I just delete the broken device from the dashboard, add a new functional one and I am good to go?

I believe it works with the Co-Termination Licensing but what about Per-Device Licensing?

Are the licenses in the Per-Device Licensing somewhat synced with the devices through their serial numbers or say their MAC addresses?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RomanMD
Building a reputation

Yes! It works the same it just requires more steps.

You need to de-attach the license from the broken switch and assign it to the other switch which will be replaced.

You can do this even after replacement since you have 30days grace period. So, you don't require to assign the license before replacing it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RomanMD
Building a reputation

Yes! It works the same it just requires more steps.

You need to de-attach the license from the broken switch and assign it to the other switch which will be replaced.

You can do this even after replacement since you have 30days grace period. So, you don't require to assign the license before replacing it.

Thanks for this! I confirmed this to the vendor of the devices we are using right now and they said the same thing.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.