Newbie- Claimed or Unclaimed

pentzy
Comes here often

Newbie- Claimed or Unclaimed

I purchased two MS220-8 units from a sale.  They are in original box, just missing the power cable - GREAT condition.  As I have been reading there is CLAIMED or UNCLAIMED.  Is there a way to determine if my unit has been claimed?  I set up a dashboard but it is asking me to register a device.  I do not wish to register as I am hoping to sell.  

I appreciate any help!

Thanks

-pentzy

11 Replies 11
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If you're planning to sell them why are you doing anything in dashboard?

As I was reading it was recommended to check through the dashboard. I just created an account. You cannot proceed much further until you register the device so I hit a dead end. That’s why I reached out to see if there was any way to check the device via email, chat, call, etc 

You can claim the serial numbers using the inventory page. If they're already claimed elsewhere because these sound to be used then you're not going to be able to claim them. Also, if you plan to resell these you shouldn't be claiming them into a dashboard as the next person won't be able to claim them.

I am not trying to claim them. I am trying to verify if they have been claimed previously or if they are unclaimed. I am not planning on claiming them in the dashboard. As I read a thread it recommended to create a dashboard account. When I did so it was asking me to register the device which I knew was ‘claiming’ it, so I defaulted to this thread. 

That's not how it works. The assumption is when you buy new Meraki hardware it's available and not claimed. You're talking about used gear here so there are no guarantees of anything. 

I do not know that it is used. Just because it was purchased elsewhere does not mean it has been used or claimed. 

do you know how to look it up to see if it is claimed? If yes, then can you please provide me that information. 

You find out if it's been claimed by trying to claim it.   If you can claim it, it wasn't previously claimed.   If it's already claimed, Dashboard will tell you so and won't let you claim it.   Note though - it won't tell you anything about who has claimed it - nor will Meraki Support be able to give you that information either.

pentzy
Comes here often

This is what I was trying to determine was if you could verify just by the serial number. 

Thanks!

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@pentzy : the short answer is try to claim it, if it is not letting you claim that is claimed already on different portal else it is unclaimed. Hope clarifies 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If you do manage to claim it - confirming it was previously unclaimed - but are then moving it on once more;  simply unclaim it.

KathleenJ
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The only way you can tell if the equipment is claimed is if you try to register it into dashboard. If you plug the serial number in as has been suggested by others, you will quickly find out if the unit can be used. After you have claimed the unit all you need to do is unclaim it from your dashboard and then you can continue on with your plans. Take a look at this KB. Adding and Removing Devices from Dashboard Networks - Cisco Meraki

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.