Need Support Help for moving infastructure

jamesb33
Here to help

Need Support Help for moving infastructure

Hi, 

I'm moving our company infastructure to a new building and i'm taking our meraki and switches and access points 

What do i need to do before we move this next week to our firewall? 

What resouces are available that I can read up on and prep before we move ? 

Do i need to create a new network name ? 

Any guidance would greatly be appreciated 

Small business not big 

15 Replies 15
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

• You need a internet connection, and is not necessary to create a new network.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

So once i plug that into the new building everything should stay the same right? i'm bringing all the access points and switches and then plug the new internet in and no issues?

Yes, just unsure to set the public IP on you MX, and everything will be ok.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

What do you mean to unsure to set the public ip on mx? Please go in detail 

Are you moving for a new building right? So I'm assuming that you will have a new ISP. So you need to set the public IP on your firewall.

Yes New Building new ISP 

I need to set the public IP on my firewall do you know where I can find documentation on that?

Thanks for all your responses!! 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/Static_IP_Assignment#Local_IP_Assignment

So I need to update the ISP IP address here can I do that before I unplug the equipment or do it when everything is plugged all in on that day we do it? I know that sounds like a dumb question

I apolgize for the dumb question 

You can do it in the day that you will move.

Okay So before I turn off the Firewall update the ISP then connect it and in theory it should work lol 

BTW just wanted to update you, thank you for your help it worked like a charm! Move went super easy 

py2o3434
Conversationalist

I'm in the same boat as you are. Our move is a couple months away and I'd like to prep what I can. Could you share what you had to do to prepare?

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Assuming that you only have 1 uplink (WAN1) on your MX at the moment, what you could do is gather the IP configuration of your new ISP, and configure it on your WAN2 interface.

Then when time comes, where you'll be moving the infrastructure to the new building, simply connect your new ISP to WAN2, and you should be up and running quickly.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
Jonathan-S
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi jamesb33, I just wanted to summarize what all has been suggested here.

As alemabrahao mentioned, there is no need to create a new Dashboard Network and all of your Meraki gear will check back into Dashboard and continue operating as expected once the gear has an internet connection again. Be sure to change network-specific items such as the devices' placements on the map or floor-plan if you are leveraging this functionality (https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Placing_Devices_on_...).

For your new building's internet connection, be sure to have all of the static IP specifics from your ISP (static IP, subnet mask, gateway, etc.) so that you are able to get your MX back online without any problems.

We most commonly see customer's leverage the "Local Status Page" of the MX in order to configure the static IP addressing on the WAN/"Internet" connection of the MX, which requires that you connect a computer directly to one of the LAN ports of your MX once you have connected at your new building. alemabrahao linked you to the correct resource for this process but I will re-post it here: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/Static_IP_Assignment#Local_IP_Assignment . You could always test accessing the MX's Local Status Page before your move to ease any concerns around this process that you may have.

Alternatively, as rbnielsen mentioned, you could pre-configure the MX's WAN 2 with your new building's static IP specifics but we still recommend having the "Local Status Page" knowledge in the event that there is an error with this pre-configuration or if further investigation is needed once you arrive at your new building.

Hope that helps, jamesb33! For more immediate assistance, be sure to call into our 24/7 Enterprise Support hotline. You can see these options by navigating to Help > Get help from the upper-right hand corner of your Meraki Dashboard portal. Good luck with the move!

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
KathleenJ
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I'm glad this worked out. The New to Meraki Community is amazing. 

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.