High Latency and packet loss

SOLVED
eLvs
Getting noticed

High Latency and packet loss

Hi hope someone will enlightened me.

on our meraki mx we have 2 ISP on it but one of our ISP shows that it has 90ms latency and at least 25% packet loss continuously , what i did is transfer all of my user to my stable ISP but still it shows the same, weve contact our ISP to check our line but they said that everything is OK on our line. what could be the reason on this?

eLvs_1-1671415368626.png

eLvs_2-1671415402210.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well, it looks like an ISP issue. Which version are you running? When did it start? Were any changes made to your network before the problem started (a firmware update for example)?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Well, it looks like an ISP issue. Which version are you running? When did it start? Were any changes made to your network before the problem started (a firmware update for example)?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

No changes were made on the MX, as per our ISP no issue on our line and out mx version is MX 17.10.2, it just started a day before a posted this. also made an stand alone testing on our ISP shows good, is this a meraki bug or something

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Version 17.10.2 has some instability issues for some users (including me). I suggest downgrading to version 16.16.7.

We have 24/7 operations having a hard time on the sched but will try appreciate the help 🙂 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It looks like you are generating 30Mb/s plus of traffic.  What size is your Internet circuit?

for the circuit, it only has 30mb, but what i did is remove all the clients and put them to our primary ISP, what makes me confuse is there are no users on the backup wan but there's still and packet loss

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'd say a layer 1 issue as the high latency and loss line has almost no traffic on it.  Check the speed and duplex of the MXs WAN port in comparison with the ISP port.  Also try by connecting a PC direct to the ISP device and ping 8.8.8.8 for 1000 pings to see if you lose the same percentage.

eLvs
Getting noticed

ive tried to connect a PC direct to the ISP and it only shows 30ms and the speed is also good, im just confused if this is a meraki bug, ive also tried and IP phone using backup line that is having an issue and the call test is good, no issue, 
tnx for the reply 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@eLvs have you tried rebooting the MX?  I did have one WAN go down on two MXs running 17.10.2 that was resolved with a reboot.

eLvs
Getting noticed

Will try the reboot on the coming Christmas break, appreciate the help 🙂 

KathleenJ
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi eLvs,

The suggestion of a reboot is a great one and that would be the first thing that I tried. Another alternative would be to try the beta build of MX 18.104. If this is not an option for you and the reboot did not work, please reach out to Meraki Support for additional troubleshooting. Support is available 365 days a year 24x7.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

Hi eLvs,

I don't have access to your network to see your configuration, but I did just receive a notice that a new build of firmware for the MX has been released, it's 16-16-8 and this *might* resolve your issue of packet loss. Without access to your dashboard config, I am unable to verify that this will resolve your issues, but it is certainly worth a try.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.